Sleepy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolcottam

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
my husband is T2. He often falls asleep during the day……he had a little nap yesterday lunch Time…..and last night felt soooo tired he went to bed before 8.00…and was still tired when he woke up…..around 7pm..
he is t over weight and he eats healthy meals tries to keep away from the carbs..he takes tablets…
I don’t know what to suggest…..can anyone help…

Even a diabetic needs carbs. Carbs are what gives you energy, fuel for your body. Complex carbs (whole foods) are better.
Obviously I'm not a doctor, nor do I know your husband, but I'd recommend him seeing a doctor & a dietician.

He does have some carbs…..I tell him that…..but he tries to keep them.low….he is due to see a doctor,but he won’t push for an appointment…he says the dietician doesn’t tell him anything he doesn’t already know so a waste of time…..
he is hard work sometimes

He does have some carbs…..I tell him that…..but he tries to keep them.low….he is due to see a doctor,but he won’t push for an appointment…he says the dietician doesn’t tell him anything he doesn’t already know so a waste of time…..
he is hard work sometimes
Dealing with diabetes can cause burnout, it can be difficult sometimes. I myself went through a period of not really looking after my diabetes a few years back. My friends guilted me into doing something about it & I eternally thank them for that.
He could be depressed, and if he's anything like me (and most men), a bit stubborn.

Welcome @Carolcottam 🙂 Both high and low sugar can cause sleepiness.Does he test his blood sugar when he feels sleepy like this? And what tablets does he take?

If low/high sugars can be ruled out, then I would suggest he speaks to his GP for some general health checks.

He has taken a sample in to the doctors as they requested him to do so…..we’re waiting to hear from them, when we do he needs to mention all this…..he tests fairly regularly, his sugar levels are quite high, he seems to struggle getting them down…..he Works from home so tries to walk a few miles a day although sometimes he doesn’t feel like it, but even then it didn’t drop…..maybe he needs to change his tablets…we just have to see what they say…he takes 2 lots of tablets….but I can’t remember the names…..one begins with an M….

Is the ‘M’ tablet Metformin? How high is “quite high”? High blood sugars can cause excessive sleepiness. He needs to test when he’s feeling really sleepy during the day so that he can confirm what’s happening with his blood sugar. This might mean doing a few more blood tests but it will be worth it for the information it provides.

Yes that’s the one…metformin…..well this morning he tested and it was 16…so yes high…..
he has an appointment on Friday…….he has just reminded me…..that’ll be to see how a lot his wee sample……I knew something wasn’t right because he drinks loads of water so his wee should be clear, the doc said he has a lot of protein in it…..

Well if glucose spills over into urine, that does not happen until your BG reaches 11 anyway, which is approx double what it should be in the first place (ie around 5). Could have a UTI if it's showing protein - which is what happens if your BG is high 'a lot'.

Is the other tablet Gliclazide, if so, what dose?

Yes that’s the one…metformin…..well this morning he tested and it was 16…so yes high…..
he has an appointment on Friday…….he has just reminded me…..that’ll be to see how a lot his wee sample……I knew something wasn’t right because he drinks loads of water so his wee should be clear, the doc said he has a lot of protein in it…..

Yes, 16 is well above target. Drinking a lot of water due to thirst or dry mouth can also be a symptom of high blood sugar.

Protein in the urine can have many causes so that would be something for the doctor to explain, but diabetes does have the potential to damage kidneys over time so that’s something to be aware of. Keeping blood sugar in range as much as possible helps.

These are the targets from the Diabetes U.K. website:

If you have type 2 diabetes

• before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
  • two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l

It’s Clopidogrel……..thank you for that info…..now it all makes sense…..
That is not a diabetic medication but a blood thinner, a more modern equivalent of warfarin.
My other half was on that following a TIA a few years ago.

@Carolcottam It reads as though your husband is eating too many carbs to cope with at the moment.
If you have swapped out high carb foods and are using lower carb options it might be necessary to check all foods for hidden sources of starch or sugars, or you could be including foods which are considered 'healthy choices' or even essential for energy - both of which are not true.
It is fine to have low carb foods for texture, flavour or variety - fresh is best, but frozen can be a good option when it needs to be kept for any length of time, or carefully portioned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back