Sleep's memory role discovered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The mechanism by which a good night's sleep improves learning and memory has been discovered by scientists.

The team in China and the US used advanced microscopy to witness new connections between brain cells - synapses - forming during sleep.

Their study, published in the journal Science, showed even intense training could not make up for lost sleep.

Experts said it was an elegant and significant study, which uncovered the mechanisms of memory.

It is well known that sleep plays an important role in memory and learning. But what actually happens inside the brain has been a source of considerable debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27695144

I always imagine my brain as a tangled heap of loose wire, with some of the connections fraying after I've used it all day.

At night after I fall asleep, the Maintenance Team arrive (on their rafts of LDL,) to tidy up all the loose and frayed connections, reconnect and untangle the wires !

That's very interesting 🙂 that's one thing i have missed full nights sleep in 6 months due to chronic nerve pain, with the added worry of my BMs dropping in the night because of stress of pain and worry.i had my disc removed and one shaved exactly a week today but am feeling more positive now. Im sure i went low in the night as when I woke at 6.30am i had been sweating but when I tested I was 8.1 perhaps my liver kicked in. I wake most mornings with really red rosey cheeks yuk does anyone else get this?

That's very interesting 🙂 that's one thing i have missed full nights sleep in 6 months due to chronic nerve pain, with the added worry of my BMs dropping in the night because of stress of pain and worry.i had my disc removed and one shaved exactly a week today but am feeling more positive now. Im sure i went low in the night as when I woke at 6.30am i had been sweating but when I tested I was 8.1 perhaps my liver kicked in. I wake most mornings with really red rosey cheeks yuk does anyone else get this?

It would be worth doing a test at 3am to see what's happening to your levels Laura, to check whether you are going low - you might need to change your long=acting insulin dose. 🙂

Hi Laura
I had a problem at night with my Lantus, but it took quite a while to work out. I was waking up at three a bit clammy and hot feeling really wired. Every time I tested I was about 5 ish. If I managed to go back to sleep I'd wake up to a higher reading. To cut a long story short I managed to catch my blood sugar going low one evening at about 2am. After consultation with the nurse we worked out I was waking up as my body was correcting itself and releasing adrenalin. I reduced my lantus by four units and switched my lantus to a morning dose and now I sleep! I was convinced for a while that lantus just didn't agree with me, but it was the little peak it has that was causing my problem. I should say that I switched to the morning before I reduced the Lantus, doing that made it easier to see that I needed to reduce my dose because I was aware of it dropping. The consultant said you can take it at any time of the day but they generally recommend evening because it helps with dawn phenomena (which I don't seem to suffer from).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back