Sleep apnea tied to diabetes in large study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In the largest study to date of the relationship between sleep apnea and diabetes, a new study of more than 8,500 Canadian patients has demonstrated a link between obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and the development of diabetes, confirming earlier evidence of such a relationship from smaller studies with shorter follow-up periods.

"Our study, with a larger sample size and a median follow-up of 67 months was able to address some of the limitations of earlier studies on the connection between OSA and diabetes," said lead author Tetyana Kendzerska, MD, PhD, of the University of Toronto. "We found that among patients with OSA, the initial severity of the disease predicted the subsequent risk for incident diabetes."

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-06-apnea-tied-diabetes-large.html

I have had sleep apnea since i was a child but only been using a machine for the past 5 years. My consultant even told me that high BP and sleep apnea go hand in hand with diabetes and if you start with one you are pretty much guaranteed the rest. Sure enough i did. Oh and rest assured the myth that only obese people get sleep apnea is just that a myth.Although some professionals will beg to differ :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back