Slapped Cheek Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After many years dormant this Victotian virus has re-emerged after years of masks and isolation. I know three people with it now and two are adults.

Has it not always been around? I remember cases at school both when I was school age and now I have children myself.

First time I have have heard of it! We had slapped bums and legs at my primary. Miss Simm was a tyrant at my primary but then I imagine most of my teachers would not, especially if the rumours about the headmaster's wandering hands were true, be allowed near children these days. :(

Rare in adults, I think. And worse. I remember my children giving me chickenpox in my 30's and how unwell I was.

There were definitely cases around when my kids were at school, it was referred to as 'Slapface'. The other thing that was around, that my daughter had, was hand foot and mouth virus, which I'd never heard of, (it didn’t seem to feature in my own childhood), and had me running to the GP in case she’d touched and eaten a poisonous plant in the garden, he reassured me it was just another virus, (and she recovered quite quickly) and commented that he’d better let Playgroup know that it was around again…

The one that did the rounds last year where I used to live is Molluscum Contagiosum. Again mainly in children but apparently many spent months of antibiotics which is dubious as it is caused by a virus.

The one that did the rounds last year where I used to live is Molluscum Contagiosum. Again mainly in children but apparently many spent months of antibiotics which is dubious as it is caused by a virus.
You are right, no treatment is prescribed for molluscum, unless the spots break and get infected, in which case topical antibiotics may be prescribed for the infection, not the molluscum.

Slapped cheek and hand and foot and mouth are very common in nurseries and primary schools, and they are very mild diseases. The disease that has made a return in the last ten years or so after being rather uncommon is scarlet fever. This is potentially much more serious, it is highly infectious, and does require antibiotics.

Not had any experience of it - parvovirus is something I’ve only really heard about since we had dogs!

There were definitely cases around when my kids were at school, it was referred to as 'Slapface'. The other thing that was around, that my daughter had, was hand foot and mouth virus, which I'd never heard of, (it didn’t seem to feature in my own childhood), and had me running to the GP in case she’d touched and eaten a poisonous plant in the garden, he reassured me it was just another virus, (and she recovered quite quickly) and commented that he’d better let Playgroup know that it was around again…
Mine also had hand, foot and mouth. I thought it was something cows got! I’d never heard of it before then.

Mine also had hand, foot and mouth. I thought it was something cows got! I’d never heard of it before then.
Never heard of cows with hands! But then I stopped watching the farming programme when Emmerdale lost the farm part and the plots became standard soap nonsense!

Never heard of Slapped Cheek Syndrome but this morning on a very old episode of Doctors, a rape victim had it and passed it on the rapist who then passed it on to a second victim so the police were able to link their suspect who displayed the symptoms to the two rapes. He had refused to give a DNA sample.
Coincidence or what?

Never heard of Slapped Cheek Syndrome but this morning on a very old episode of Doctors, a rape victim had it and passed it on the rapist who then passed it on to a second victim so the police were able to link their suspect who displayed the symptoms to the two rapes. He had refused to give a DNA sample.
Coincidence or what?
Is this a fictional drama?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back