1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Slab of chocolate

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by Imstillme, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Imstillme

Imstillme Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    I’ve Been naughty and just eat a big slab of Cadbury orio mint chocolate. I dread looking At my reading later. I haven’t eat a slab for ages before diagnosis few months now.

2. Bexlee

Bexlee Well-Known Member

Did you add insulin to the mix?! My DSN said chocolate is fine so long as you cover with insulin.

Kaylz likes this.
  3. Kaylz

Kaylz Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Have your tastea not changed? I used to like white chocolate but theres no way I could eat that now, I've always been a dark chocolate lover though which is a good job seen as it's the better of the chocolate for diabetics, I have a square of Lindt 90% every night with my tea and 3 times a week have a 25g bar of aldi moser Roth 85% chocolate at less than 5g carbs per bar, no way I'd eat and inject for the likes of dairy milk or Cadbury etc but I suppose everyone is different x

SB2015 likes this.
  4. Lizzzie

Lizzzie Well-Known Member

Type 1
    A bit surprised by this. I change my insulin dose to reflect what I eat. So I eat chocolate, sure, and have the right amount of insulin to cover it.

Is this an option for you?

Anyway, looking fwd to hearing how you got on with the Oreo.

SB2015 likes this.
  5. nonethewiser

nonethewiser Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Chocolate is fine but not big slab all at once, galaxy is my favourite above all overs.

SB2015 likes this.
  6. Imstillme

Imstillme Well-Known Member

Type 1
    It was tea time. I had a bad tea realy I had two burgers on one bun fries and I piece of pizza. Then maybe 15 minutes later half the slab then maybe 20 minutes after I had the other half. My insulin unit at teatime is 16.

7. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Do you give fixed doses of insulin, or are you carb counting?

What you have described would mount up to a lot of carbs, and I have learnt that with heavy carb meals I find I need to use a ratio that gives me more insulin as I think that for me big doses don’t work in the same way as small ones.

Like others I still eat chocolate, but stick to one VERY nice one after a meal. Currently working my way through some Godiva chocolates. Mmmmmmmm