Skincare

Kinnek1977

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
Looking for a bit of advice. I am a Type 2 Diabetic and have really dry skin especially on my feet. Can anyone recommend any good cream they use/have used in the past? Happy to pay for good quality cream that works.
Thanks in anticipation,
Kathryn

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello Kathryn :)

Flexitol cream is good for dry heels. For general foot moisturising, I like a rich good quality body butter. The trick is to use it regularly. Palmers Coconut Oil is also good as is the Nivea cream Rich Moisturising 48hrs. The Body Shop do some hemp creams that are very good too.

How are your blood sugars? Keeping those in range and drinking enough water also helps.

Kinnek1977

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Inka,
Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll look into getting some of them!
Yeah my blood sugar is the main problem. It’s very high - fasting normally sits around 11.1 which I know some people will gasp at but when I was first diagnosed it was 22+!! My hbca still has some work to be done but again it’s coming down. Taken a while to get my head around it all to be honest!

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, looking positively, you’ve made a big improvement :)

I know you only asked about moisturisers but if you have any questions about diet or blood sugar control, there are lots of helpful people here who can make suggestions. We all understand how hard diabetes can be.

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Flexitol cream is very expensive! I managed to get mine on prescription from my GP as the podiatrist recommended it :cool: ;)

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Lucky you! :DI use the Flexitol heel balm and find it’s often on offer for £3 or £4. I should have been more specific above rather than calling it ‘cream’. I just use a tiny amount on my heels when needed and find it very effective.

But a good tip that it’s available on prescription :cool:

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just use Vaseline Aloe Vera body lotion on my feet and it does the job fine, but as mentioned you have to keep on top of it for it to work xx

Thebearcametoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Cetraban and other emollients are good and you might be able to get them from your GP. For luxury I tend to go for L’Occitane Shea butter but it’s expensive. Aveno is pretty good for an off the shelf moisturiser. Most things will help if you’re using them once or twice a day so I would just try with whatever you can get most easily and see what works for you. The best cream used only sporadically won’t help much.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just a word of warning many CTG's are not allowing Dr. to prescribe stuff that can be bought over the counter.

Kinnek1977

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks so much all for your replies! I think the challenge for me is consistently using it - I’ll just need to make the time in the morning after showering. I did find flexitol on amazon from £3 so ordered that but I’ll try some of the other suggestions too! Thanks again, my feet will be so grateful! Xx

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've heard several people recommend Flexitol, but I've not found it to try yet.

I always use the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula stuff on my hands and that's very good, but I don't often need cream for my tootsies.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have had dry skin all my life and tried pretty much every product on the market over the years on my hands and feet and some that were developed for animals too (udder cream)! The product which has revolutionised my foot care and would be the one item I would take onto a desert island with me is Margaret Dabbs Foot Hygiene Cream. It is expensive at approx. £25 for a 125ml pot but one pot lasts me almost a year. It is made with emu oil and contains tea tree oil and salicilates which protect against fungal infections. Keeps my feet in good fettle winter and summer and I live outdoors in Wellies all winter and boots or trainers most of the summer, so it has it's work cut out.

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Lucky you! :DI use the Flexitol heel balm and find it’s often on offer for £3 or £4. I should have been more specific above rather than calling it ‘cream’. I just use a tiny amount on my heels when needed and find it very effective.

But a good tip that it’s available on prescription :cool:
Gosh, that's cheap! When the podiatrist first recommended it I went to Boots on the way home and got a tube, which was £10 as I recall. So next time at the GP's I asked her about it and she prescribed a big pot, which lasted me all year. I still get it like that ;)

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I get mine at Superdrug or Tesco. I shop around as the price can vary @Pine Marten Luckily I only use it occasionally so a smallish tube last me well. It works - unlike some others I’ve tried, so I’m happier spending a bit more for it.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have found over recent weeks you have to aware of prices on Amazon, a few things I bought in the last month or two, have gone up considerably in price,

Jodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I use a foot cream recommended by podiatrists - there is ;

CCS Foot Care Cream (professional) no. 1 foot cream in sweden :) (used by podiatrists and suitable for diabetics).
Blue and white tube.

Also Dermatonics Soothing Foot Cream (with calming colloidal oatmeal) noticeable results in 1 day, perfume free.
box is mustard yellow and dark taup green 60ml

I'm still finishing up the CCS cream and have not started on the Dermatonics yet but am looking forward to the change.

You can buy in Boots. CCS £7.99, Dermatonics £6.99, Cetraben from £4.50, Flexitol from £5.99 (foot creams rather than just heel cream) I just checked prices on Amazon they are about the same as Boots prices except CCS which is about £1 cheaper on Amazon.

A lady in boots I got chatting to recommended the Cetraben that @Thebearcametoo mentioned.

I have found the CCS foot care cream very good.

Last edited:

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I thought I read on thiere site they have been asked by Amazon to stop tracking.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I thought I read on thiere site they have been asked by Amazon to stop tracking.
So they have. That's annoying. (They say it's just a load problem, not that Amazon really doesn't like them, so with any luck one day it'll return. non-EU price history is still available but that's obviously less useful for us.)

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The things I noticed were the first was garden twine paid about a fiver ,gone up to 8, did not repurchase, bought off Ebay. Other were Optium Tests Strips and Blink Eye drops, I have enough at moment so will bid my time.