Skin

callum13112009

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi there
I found out I was diabetic in may and still getting the hang of it
I find my skin is really easily irritated and painful if I'm itching ect since being diabetic is this a common thing ?

Hi there
I find my skin is really easily irritated and painful if I'm itching ect since being diabetic is this a common thing ?
Welcome to the forum
I don't think it is a common thing but if blood glucose is high then wounds can take longer to heal and people are more susceptible to thrush.
Is is only since diagnosis as you could have made some dietary changes and started having something you are allergic to or if you are on any medication it may be a reaction to that.
Have you tried anything to alleviate the itching, antihistamine, E45 or any lotions. It would be worth speaking to the pharmacist or GP in case you need anything other than over the counter medication to help.
Do ask any questions if you need help managing your condition as there is lots of information about dietary approaches that people have found successful.
Were you told what your HbA1C was that gave your diagnosis as that will indicate how much work you need to do.

Hi there

Yes, prior to diagnosis my skin got very sensitive and used to hurt when I scratched it or knocked it. As soon as I got blood glucose under control it stopped.

Skin problems are fairly common with diabetes, and there are a number of causes: dehydration, circulation problems, and nerve problems all linked to high blood sugar. If you see any discolouration anywhere or have strange lumps it can also be a side effect of high blood sugar. Especially in the extremities.

Back