Skin maintenance with pump and G6 Dexcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateMeade

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello! My daughter has type 1 diabetes and she is on omnipod and dexcom. As a nine year old, she has limited space for rotation, and we find that she has red dots for a long time where her cannula has been in and they take some time to go away. I'm also a bit worried that her skin may be dimpling because of the devices she has. I just wondered if anyone can suggest any creams or methods to maintain the skin and help it heal better and quicker. Thanks!

Hello! My daughter has type 1 diabetes and she is on omnipod and dexcom. As a nine year old, she has limited space for rotation, and we find that she has red dots for a long time where her cannula has been in and they take some time to go away. I'm also a bit worried that her skin may be dimpling because of the devices she has. I just wondered if anyone can suggest any creams or methods to maintain the skin and help it heal better and quicker. Thanks!

Either GP or DSN will be able to prescribe something suitable, have word with them.

Either GP or DSN will be able to prescribe something suitable, have word with them.
Pump DSNs are mines of information in my experience, especially when it comes to skin care.

I also use an Omnipod. After removing a Pod, my skin’s usually slightly red and a bit itchy. I leave it for about 24 hours, then apply E45 Itch Relief or an Aveeno cream for very dry skin. I avoid anything cosmetic cos it just makes it worse.

I can’t advise on dimpling or red dots though. I hope your GP or DSN can help.

What is "dimpling skin"? The only reference I could find with Google refers to breast cancer which is unlikely to be what you are referring to.

I use a patch pump. I was sensitive to the glue used on the pump so my skin would be red and sore when I removed my pump. I now use a patch made out of Hyperfix tape between my skin and my pump. Now, I have no mark when I removed my pump.

If your daughter's skin is reacting to the pump glue, you could try a similar patch rather than looking for some cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back