skin cleansing wipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAREN1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi was just wondering if anybody uses skin cleansing wipes (alcohol based) before injecting insulin. i have never been given any but wondered if i should get some because on a couple of occasions i have had a hot any lump come up after injecting lasting a few days. :( thank you

Never used skin cleansing wipes for that purpose as I don't inject, but I do use them when out and about and can't get to soap and water for hand washing/keeping clean. They are quite effective. I don't use them when testing as they affect the reading for me.

Never used skin cleansing wipes for that purpose as I don't inject, but I do use them when out and about and can't get to soap and water for hand washing/keeping clean. They are quite effective. I don't use them when testing as they affect the reading for me.

thank you for your reply caroline

If your skin is clean, then there should be no risk of infection from taking bacteria from skin surface into sub cutaneous fat with an injection needle. However, if I've been standing in, or have had my arms in, murky water or a bog, for example (which happens when competing in, or marshalling on, adventure races / mountain marathons / biological fieldwork in South America etc) then I'll avoid injecting into legs or arms, but that still leaves my tummy, which rarely gets so mucky. If there is any mud, then I will use a tiny alcohol wipe to clean skin first. For morning & evening long acting insulin injections, I can sometimes inject after a shower, which ensures clean skin, but that doesn't usually help for mealtime injections.

However, the red bump could be a bruise, rather than an infection? To minimise chances of bruises, best to press on puncture site with a finger, perhaps with a tissue if fingers aren't too clean.

Despite my somewhat muddy lifestyle, and not changing needles every time, I've never had an infection from a injection. I'll be doing the same for this weekend, camping in Peak District, marshalling on a challenge walk on Sunday - I'll do a few of the 31 miles covered by the competitors.

thank you for replying copepod. i always use my legs and tummy too i just thought maybe i should have been using them and maybe they forgot to tell me not been diagnosed that long (18 months) so still learning! this site is so good everyone is so nice and understanding. thank you once again 🙂

Hello Karen,

I just have to share this. Your user name reminded me of that comedy program where they have animals dubbed by people. The one that springs to mind is the ground squirrel (or whatever it is!) shouting at the top of its voice 'ALAN ...... ALAN ..... AL ..... ALAN ..... AL .....' etc! :D

Also, is your avatar teddy bear smoking something (and I hate to think what it is doing at the other end)? I must get my eyesight tested. 🙄

Andy 🙂

Last edited:
I don't inject with but carry a few in my meter kit as I'd rather not trust a public loo for hand washing if I'm going to test when I'm out. If I'm home I have an antibacterial handwash by all the sinks.

Despite my somewhat muddy lifestyle, and not changing needles every time, I've never had an infection from a injection.

In 36 years, I have only had 1 infected site - and it was my own fault 😱 😱 😱 .

I was out, and as I stabbed myself, I brushed the needle against something. Unfortunately as I didn't have a spare with me, I used it anyway and that - as they say -was that! (Having done that once, I would now forget that injection and just miss one out until I got home as the pain anytime I bumped the place was excrutiating until it healed up - with the help of the nurse at my GP - definitely NOT to be recommended)

If your skin is clean, then there should be no risk of infection from taking bacteria from skin surface into sub cutaneous fat with an injection needle.

Not necessarily. Normal flora (the bugs that normally grow on your skin) can quite easily become opportunistic pathogens should they get into what is usually a sterile site in the body. Things like Staphylococcus aureus grow normally as skin flora and that has a somewhat scarier cousin in MRSA (Methycillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) and there are many othere types of bacteria that grow on your skin. I'd say the risk of infection is decreased as there is nothing in there for longer than a few seconds, hence pumpers becoming more susceptible to infections of their sites.

I did say "should be no risk of infection", but without going into more detail about length of contact time etc. Yet another reason why MDI suits me better than a pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back