Skin Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I have a quick question about wearing a pump. First I should say I'm not using a pump, and not likely to any time soon as I've been told I don't meet NICE criteria. Doesn't stop me day dreaming though!

I have a skin allergy to things like elastoplast, my skin reacts if it is left on too long. I had 4 days on a CGMS last year, (as far as I know the insertion is pretty much the same as a pump?), and I managed the 4 days, but it took a while for the patch of skin on my tummy to properly heal. Which made me wonder if I would cope with wearing a pump all the time.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Is it common for the site to get itchy on everyone? These may seem like silly questions, but I have my next appointment at the clinic coming up soon, and I want to discuss pumps again, and although the chances are incredibly slim of getting a pump, I would hate to fight for one only to have to give it up because my skin can't cope with the sticky bit around the insertion site!!!

There are some children I know of who have very sensitive skin and so use things like Tegaderm under the infusion set, I don't know if you've ever used that/it causes a reaction for you?

Tagaderm is a good one, then you get barrier sprays like Cavlion (cream based barrier creams won't work) there several products both like tagaderm or cavlion spray available on the market..

You say they said you don't fit the creteria for pump therapy

Are you sure that they are deciding which part of the guidlines, a favourite on is your HbA1c doesn't fulfill the creteria etc..

You don't have to fit the whole of the creteria, and your clinic/PCT can decided what aspects of the guidelines they are going to use either!

Have you had a word with INPUT concerning this at all?

Thanks for your replies. I think tegaderm was what I was given for the CGMS. It obviously worked because 4 days with something stuck to my skin is really ambitious, however it did blister ever so slightly. It's good to hear there are alternatives - I would happily try anything if I thought it would help.

Regarding the pump situation, in writing I was told I don't meet criteria and wouldn't be put on a waiting list, but in person I was told there was no chance because there simply is not enough funding. I was told pumps will go to those who need them most, and that my control is 'good enough' for the moment on MDI. I think my lowest HbA1c was 8.4, straight after my DAFNE course. I was very pleased with it at the time, but I haven't been able to maintain it. I will get my HbA1c next week and see what that presents.

I have read the input and ipag (I live in Scotland) websites thoroughly. Find them very interesting, and I'm going to my appointment next week armed with some information from them. I couldn't help but notice though, reading the guidelines, I don't suffer debilitating hypos, and they recommend pump if you can't stay below 8.5, which obviously I've managed to dip below (just).

Anyway, the ipag website states that if you think you're eligible for a pump to speak to your care team. I did this last time, but backed down really easily because I didn't have enough info. This time I've done my homework and I'm going to try again. If I get another negative response I think I might write to ipag and see if they can give me advice.

I was also told I wasn't a priority case because I suffer no complications. But I've only been diagnosed for 2-3 years, and I feel like if I don't get better control I will get complications, and by the time they then consider me a priority, some of the damage will already be done!

Apologies - long post for a hypothetical question about skin at insertion site!! 😱

Laura, get in touch with IPAG. They will be able to fight your case.

I know it's much more difficult in Scotland to get a pump than it is in England :(

Ah the hypo..

What does dibilitating mean! NICE hasn't actually defined this as such..

If you work, you have to stop and treat a hypo could prevent you from performing your duites... This is dibilitating🙄

As to 3rd party intervention well If somebody had opened my Jelly Baby bag the I wouldn't have fathomed or found the strength to do it... If somebody hadn't said are you low? You would have suffered a worse hypo than you did! Just don't expand on the event or the situation 🙄😎

3rd party doesn mean having the paramedic out to bring you around, it really means that if somebody hadn't interviend with some form of help then matter would have been worse than they were...

But yes what ever clinic says, give Ipig a phone/letter and get them working with you

Hi I have a pump, I do have no warning symptoms of hypos and do get them quite alot, so easily fitted the criteria.

I am replying to your skin question. In the early 1980s I tested a pump, very new technology at the time, for a year. I wont go into the ludicrousness of the Consultant who had me still on long term Ultratard in the evenings as well making me suffer prolonged and terrible hypos!

I will tell you about the fact that I became allergic to the tapes on my stomach. I was given op-site in the end but it still irritated. This was a major worry for me, i have very sensitive skin, and since in the old days you had to push in the needle yourself and it always hurt and it was metal and stayed in for days and days, the idea of putting it in my stomach was not one I relished.

I solved my problem by using my legs instead. The skin there is way less sensitive, I use sensitive tapes and have had no problems at all.

Shiv - I'm discovering just how different Scotland is in this regard! However I had an appointment with my GP this morning for something else, and I mentioned the pump situation. She she said that while NICE guidelines apply to England there are others for Scotland, and she has given me some websites to research. I have it written down in my car, I think it was SIGN guidelines, going to see what I can find there.

Ellie - That's a really good point, I'd never thought of it like that! If I'm hypo at work, I usually have to ask someone to get my juice from the fridge, and I've also been known to need it opened too because I just don't have the strength / coordination to do it myself. Both debilitating and third party intervention!

Liz - Really interesting that you have a difference between legs and tummy. Can you use your tummy at all? How long have you been using your pump on your legs? Unfortunately, my legs have proved worst. I had hip dysplasia when I was born, and was treated for it at about 10 months old. They bound both my legs in elastoplast during part of the treatment process, and after a week or so my mum demanded they take a look because I was so unhappy. When they took off the bandages the skin came off too :( I was always really careful because of that, but I don't want it to be the reason I can't have a pump!

Are pumps usually just inserted in tummy or legs? Is it your choice where you insert the pump or are you advised by the care team where to put it?

Gosh - i can imagine elastoplast doing that.

As you know your tummy reacts already, how about asking for the spray mentioned above, then using the very best hypo-allergenic tape and seeing if that's ok first? If not, you have lost nothing.

I would take advice from someone (get referred) who knows about contact allergies. It's important to get it right.

I think you can put the pump in your arms, legs and tummy, but some areas work better than others. It's easy to knock the needle if it's on the outside of your leg for instance. And you can't have a heavy toddler on your lap if it's on the front of your leg! Even my cat is too heavy, but luckily my dog is as light as a feather and hasn't affected it.

Also, I'm not sure how the tubing would be if it was on your arm. However there is a new pump which has no tubing coming out. That may work.

Skin Tac works very well to stop the itching it also cements the cannula to you as well.
You can have a free sample from the company to try before you buy
http://www.mghealthcare.co.uk/products.aspx unfortunately you can't get them on the NHS. I use each wipe 4 times. You have to open the pkt carefully and replace and seal after each use. Instead of buying the remover I use skin wipes (sterips) (on prescription)
Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back