Sjogren's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
For the last few months I've been waking with a dry mouth and dry eyes, every day. It seems to be getting a little bit worse.

A peristent dry cough, and often still excessive-seeming fatigue post moderate exercise.

I've had a low platelet count since the beginning of this year.

I've had a nickel allergy forever, which apparently is something which can lead to Sjogren's.

Also, I don't know how to do an umlaut on this keyboard so I can't spell "Sjogren's" properly.

Anyway, I think I'm going to put it to my doc when I see him next in January. But even if it is I'm not sure there's anything much you can do about it?

Well diagnosing it - with a simple blood test, is the first hurdle - and then they usually concentrate on treating the symptoms eg dry eyes, cough etc, meds and/or physio for the rheumatological things - rather than the actual Sjogrens itself. (Not unlike diabetes all in all !)

My younger stepdaughter has it - now in her late 40s with 4 daughters and one grandaughter of her own. She was premature and been skinny as a rake for most of her life, unlike her big sis.

So FWIW dentist and optometrist both think my things are consistent with Sjogrens - starting to get cornea abrasions from the dryness etc - and I saw my doc today who thinks it's worth referring me to a physician to check that out, together with leg cramps, some little balance wonkiness, persistent fatigue, low platelets.

What I'd really like to know, assuming I have Sjogren's, is whether it's having some systematic effects which might get worse, like demyelination; or if its secondary to something lurking in the shadows.

Also but on a different note, whether walking 10km+ per day with a blocked femoral artery is perhaps too much & responsible for some of the leg/balance issues.

Blood test results came back & they are negative for all autoimmune stuff. Phew! Really didn't want to find I had RA or lupus.

(But why the dry eyes & dry mouth?)

Also seems to rule out Sjogren's neuropathy as a cause of leg weakness, balance, cramping issues.

Brain / spinal cord MRI next week.

For the last few months I've been waking with a dry mouth and dry eyes, every day. It seems to be getting a little bit worse.

A peristent dry cough, and often still excessive-seeming fatigue post moderate exercise.

I've had a low platelet count since the beginning of this year.

I've had a nickel allergy forever, which apparently is something which can lead to Sjogren's.

Also, I don't know how to do an umlaut on this keyboard so I can't spell "Sjogren's" properly.

Anyway, I think I'm going to put it to my doc when I see him next in January. But even if it is I'm not sure there's anything much you can do about it?
I have these symptoms too, my eyes drive me nuts. I also have a very dry mouth on waking, and blocked or runny nose. I’m starting to wonder if it central heating. Apparently humidifiers are food for this, thinking of getting one. Also steaming the face is supposed to help

I have these symptoms too, my eyes drive me nuts. I also have a very dry mouth on waking, and blocked or runny nose. I’m starting to wonder if it central heating. Apparently humidifiers are food for this, thinking of getting one. Also steaming the face is supposed to help
A cheaper solution is to have some water in a vase or any other container with water near the radiators 🙂

My OH has had a dry cough for years and put it down to the blood pressure medication which lists it as a side effect but since stopping taking medication for enlarged prostate as he has surgery the cough is very much reduced.
You can get artificial tears for dry eyes or viciously expensive eye wipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back