Six-year diaversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Looking back over my numbers since diagnosed in March 2018 ...

1710207151465.png

The most "interesting" period was in the ~9 months to Nov 2018:

1710207180697.png
During the Mar-early June period I didn't self test, just cut out obvious crap & probably lost some weight from that, and took Metformin. When I started self BG-testing in June I tested a *lot*, trying to find peaks & troughs etc. Over a few weeks I used testing to adjust portion sizes for things like melon, wholemeal bread etc and continued to cut crap.

Avg BG levels bounced around from day to day but the trend behind this noise was downwards, until in July I'd reached a point where further BG falls would be pretty meaningless, clinically, and I was not going to cut fruit, grains etc further just to get my avg BG levels below ~7 mmol/l.

BG levels and probably weight stayed fairly stable for a while. Then I became aware of Roy Taylor's work, and started to target "normal" rather than just "meh OK" - because why not? I started weighing daily, never having done this before, and explicitly cutting calories. By September I'd lost ~10kg since diagnosis, and BG levels fell to a point where I'd achieved "remission". As became clear from the later ReTUNE study, ~10kg weight loss is often enough for T2D's without overweight/obesity (like me) to achieve remission.

After that I continued to lose weight while increasing carbs from fruit, grain, melons etc but also things like noodles when I felt like it. Because my glucose regulation was sorting itself out in response to the weight loss, BG levels nevertheless continued to fall and by November I was pretty much "normal", and have been ever since, in terms of BG.

Everything seemed to be pretty much sorted, BG-wise, and I stopped testing so much & found other things to obsess about 🙂

I've shown "TyG" levels. This is a rough metric for assessing insulin resistance, based on fasting BG and fasting trigs. A level >4.5 is an indication of likely insulin resistance. I started out very insulin resistant, but with weight loss this had imrpoved to border-line by September and these days I am very insulin-sensitive, according to this metric. (While at the same time eating lots more carbs).

I have cardiovascular disease - severe PAD in the leg, moderate CAD in the heart, and from September 2018 anyway, lipids (and BP) have been much more important for my health than BG issues. The best lipid metric is apoB but unfortunately it's still not a common test - even my cardio deprecates it, for some reason.

The best apoB proxy on the standard panel is non-HDL-C and in my position you really want this to be as low as possible. It took me until mid-2019 to get it down to a level I'm comfortable with, and that has persisted also. Key factors: statin, minimal saturated fat, lots of fibre, exercise - oh, and not least, ditching the ciggies!

The table shows apoB estimated according to one of the many proposed formulas using the common lipid measures. I think these formulas are generally reasonable approximations, except when they aren't 🙂 Anyway, in my position, you want it to be in the 30's at most.

(Note that no expert guideline these days talks about lipid "ratio's" involving HDL-C compared to other metrics. They are pretty much meaningless, despite the Internet and many sadly under-trained GP's.)

Attachments

• 1710203763811.png
    1710203763811.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1710203855242.png
    1710203855242.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
@Eddy Edson. Are the fasting blood glucose readings the readings on the day of the HbA1c?

I suspect the answer will be no, but I gotta ask......can you get an average for waking BG for the 90 days prior to the HbA1c from your data set?

I suspect the answer will be no, but I gotta ask......can you get an average for waking BG for the 90 days prior to the HbA1c from your data set?
The data includes waking BG for most days over the March-November period.

The daily BG data points shown are the time-weighted average over multiple fingerpricks on the day. I used the 90-day average of these daily averages to estimate HbA1c for ...

Sep 2018: 5.8% estimated vs 5.8% actual.
Nov 2018: 5.2% vs 5.5%

You'd probably expect the discordance between estimate and actual to change over time while you're losing weight. Weight loss => reducing RBC count => average RBC age changing, until a new equilirium is established once weight stabilises.

EDIT: Looking at the 90 day waking average:

Sep 2018: 90 day avg waking = 5.8 mmol/l vs 90 day avg daily = 6.6 mmol/l
Nov 2018: 90 day avg waking = 5.0 mmol/l vs 90 day avg daily = 5.8 mmol/l

Obviously you could fit an HbA1c estimate to those but not sure how meaningful it would be.

Last edited:
I've done something very simple and plotted your fasting blood glucose against Hba1 together with my 90 day waking average and got this....

1710250249464.png
Not claiming any great breakthrough on the understanding of the relationship between fasting blood glucose and HbA1c but there looks to be a bit of commonality between the data sets.

Can anybody else add to the plot? @Martin.A - you have been finger jabbing for a while?

I have been finger jabbing for a while, almost from Day 1, but I only started logging my fasting and post-prandial numbers on a spreadsheet from September 2020. What I can say is that my fasting BG has been consistently a little either side of mid-5 since then, and my post-prandial results a little either side of 6, while my HbA1c results during that period have been 38, 41, 40 and 41. The trend lines on my graphs are pretty flat.

Looking back over my numbers since diagnosed in March 2018 ...

View attachment 29505

The most "interesting" period was in the ~9 months to Nov 2018:

View attachment 29506
During the Mar-early June period I didn't self test, just cut out obvious crap & probably lost some weight from that, and took Metformin. When I started self BG-testing in June I tested a *lot*, trying to find peaks & troughs etc. Over a few weeks I used testing to adjust portion sizes for things like melon, wholemeal bread etc and continued to cut crap.

Avg BG levels bounced around from day to day but the trend behind this noise was downwards, until in July I'd reached a point where further BG falls would be pretty meaningless, clinically, and I was not going to cut fruit, grains etc further just to get my avg BG levels below ~7 mmol/l.

BG levels and probably weight stayed fairly stable for a while. Then I became aware of Roy Taylor's work, and started to target "normal" rather than just "meh OK" - because why not? I started weighing daily, never having done this before, and explicitly cutting calories. By September I'd lost ~10kg since diagnosis, and BG levels fell to a point where I'd achieved "remission". As became clear from the later ReTUNE study, ~10kg weight loss is often enough for T2D's without overweight/obesity (like me) to achieve remission.

After that I continued to lose weight while increasing carbs from fruit, grain, melons etc but also things like noodles when I felt like it. Because my glucose regulation was sorting itself out in response to the weight loss, BG levels nevertheless continued to fall and by November I was pretty much "normal", and have been ever since, in terms of BG.

Everything seemed to be pretty much sorted, BG-wise, and I stopped testing so much & found other things to obsess about 🙂

I've shown "TyG" levels. This is a rough metric for assessing insulin resistance, based on fasting BG and fasting trigs. A level >4.5 is an indication of likely insulin resistance. I started out very insulin resistant, but with weight loss this had imrpoved to border-line by September and these days I am very insulin-sensitive, according to this metric. (While at the same time eating lots more carbs).

I have cardiovascular disease - severe PAD in the leg, moderate CAD in the heart, and from September 2018 anyway, lipids (and BP) have been much more important for my health than BG issues. The best lipid metric is apoB but unfortunately it's still not a common test - even my cardio deprecates it, for some reason.

The best apoB proxy on the standard panel is non-HDL-C and in my position you really want this to be as low as possible. It took me until mid-2019 to get it down to a level I'm comfortable with, and that has persisted also. Key factors: statin, minimal saturated fat, lots of fibre, exercise - oh, and not least, ditching the ciggies!

The table shows apoB estimated according to one of the many proposed formulas using the common lipid measures. I think these formulas are generally reasonable approximations, except when they aren't 🙂 Anyway, in my position, you want it to be in the 30's at most.

(Note that no expert guideline these days talks about lipid "ratio's" involving HDL-C compared to other metrics. They are pretty much meaningless, despite the Internet and many sadly under-trained GP's.)
Your weight maintenance after November 2018 is interesting too. Many people tend to put weight on again. Did you have to make a conscious effort to keep yours stable and declining a bit more?

Your weight maintenance after November 2018 is interesting too. Many people tend to put weight on again. Did you have to make a conscious effort to keep yours stable and declining a bit more?
Since 2018, it's a conscious effort to maintain within a 64kg - 65kg channel. Sometimes it drifts up, sometimes down. It's not really a matter of fighting weight regain - I'm about as likely to drift low as high. And it's fundamentally different to managing *cravings*, which I don't really get these days.

I'm fairly convinced that starting to do quite a lot of moderate intensity aerobic exercise (ie 1.5 - 2.5 hours+ brisk walking per day) is the main reason for cravings going away. I don't think it would be the case for everyone - I probably just got luck with my CNS wiring in this regard - but there are a few bits & pieces in the research literature to support the idea.

Indeed, aerobic exercise. I struggled round a 5k course in the autumn after a few weeks training then my knee played up. Give interval running another go and/or get a bike. Thanks for the nudge.

For me the most interesting aspect of Eddy’s metrics has been the plummet in LDL. In my case my total cholesterol has remained in the range 5.5 to 6, LDL about 3 and HDL about 2.8, triglycerides about 0.4. So my figures much higher than Eddy’s though I don’t take statins. How much do statins achieve in pulling down the LDL? Does my high sat-fats of 37g (from yoghurt and cheese and nuts) daily play a role in my cholesterol figures? I would be interested to know Eddy’s sat-fats intake. I should say that despite reading hundreds of papers about the lipid hypothesis and cardiovascular health I am none the wiser about any of this. Cholesterol has replaced my thoughts about diabetes which has now become almost a non-issue.

Last edited:
For me the most interesting aspect of Eddy’s metrics has been the plummet in LDL. In my case my total cholesterol has remained in the range 5.5 to 6, LDL about 3 and HDL about 2.8, triglycerides about 0.4. So my figures much higher than Eddy’s though I don’t take statins. How much do statins achieve in pulling down the LDL? Does my high sat-fats of 37g (from yoghurt and nuts) daily play a role in my cholesterol figures? I would be interested to know Eddy’s sat-fats intake. I should say that despite reading hundreds of papers about the lipid hypothesis and cardiovascular health I am none the wiser about any of this. Cholesterol has replaced my thoughts about diabetes which has now become almost a non-issue.
High intensity statin generally reduces LDL-C by 50%+.

37g of satfats is high!

My satfat intake is typically about 12g, which is actually even less than the hardcore AHA guidance of no more than 5%-6% of calories. But I have established ASCVD so I care a lot about this stuff.

On a side note, your HDL-C is pretty high. Unusual & I'd be trying to find out more about that.

High intensity statin generally reduces LDL-C by 50%+.

37g of satfats is high!

My satfat intake is typically about 12g, which is actually even less than the hardcore AHA guidance of no more than 5%-6% of calories. But I have established ASCVD so I care a lot about this stuff.

On a side note, your HDL-C is pretty high. Unusual & I'd be trying to find out more about that.
Thank you, yes my HDL is a bit above range. Wishing to keep carbs at about 150g I have not found an easy way of clocking up my fixed 1950 cals without reliance on quite a lot of dairy, hence the high sat-fats. Should I be reducing the dairy dramatically by substituting something else that does not also force the carbs higher? I think I may have missed some tricks in the diet game.

Thank you, yes my HDL is a bit above range. Wishing to keep carbs at about 150g I have not found an easy way of clocking up my fixed 1950 cals without reliance on quite a lot of dairy, hence the high sat-fats. Should I be reducing the dairy dramatically by substituting something else that does not also force the carbs higher? I think I may have missed some tricks in the diet game.
For me a big move was replacing cow milk with soy milk - no satfats,about the same protein. Also just ditching cheese, replaced to a certain extent by upping nuts and seeds.

I'm tackling cholesterol as well atm, it's crazy how much you can get even when using semi-skimmed milk over the course of a day. Since I live alone I was able to track how much milk I got through (eg over 1 week), to produce an average daily consumption.
For me consuming approx 620 ml semi skimmed it's a scary 6.8g saturated fat from milk!

Anyhow - with regard to your yogurt - I switched my yogurt from full fat greek style to the Fage fat free yogurt. I'm happy with it as it contains nothing but milk and yogurt cultures. You could check around for this or a similar product.
Recently I looked at milk ... normal skimmed milk just seems nasty to me, but I read reviews from shoppers on a supermarkets online site - the filtered milk, Arla BOB skimmed has very good reviews. It seems to contain nothing other than milk, so I have bought some of that to try.

I figure if I can cut the saturates from milk and yogurt (while avoiding random additives), then I can concentrate on healthy fats, and not bust the days fat allowance I set myself 🙂

For me a big move was replacing cow milk with soy milk - no satfats,about the same protein. Also just ditching cheese, replaced to a certain extent by upping nuts and seeds.
I’ve read quite a few studies concluding that satfats from dairy are not at all harmful to CV health, quite the opposite, but I have no view either way, it’s all so darned complicated and confusing.
I'm tackling cholesterol as well atm, it's crazy how much you can get even when using semi-skimmed milk over the course of a day. Since I live alone I was able to track how much milk I got through (eg over 1 week), to produce an average daily consumption.
For me consuming approx 620 ml semi skimmed it's a scary 6.8g saturated fat from milk!

Anyhow - with regard to your yogurt - I switched my yogurt from full fat greek style to the Fage fat free yogurt. I'm happy with it as it contains nothing but milk and yogurt cultures. You could check around for this or a similar product.
Recently I looked at milk ... normal skimmed milk just seems nasty to me, but I read reviews from shoppers on a supermarkets online site - the filtered milk, Arla BOB skimmed has very good reviews. It seems to contain nothing other than milk, so I have bought some of that to try.

I figure if I can cut the saturates from milk and yogurt (while avoiding random additives), then I can concentrate on healthy fats, and not bust the days fat allowance I set myself 🙂
many thanks for these suggestions, I’ll look into them.

It is not necessarily the cholesterol in the foods you eat that is the problem but the mix of fats and carbohydrates.
People need cholesterol as it provides the building blocks for hormones, vitamin D and lots of other vital things.
Again it is one of the things that people will respond differently depending on their genetics.

But what is being pondered here is not ingestion of cholesterol but of sat fats.

I'm no expert (I'd love to chat to a dietician), but from the reading I've done, the problem lies in an excess amount of total saturated fats consumed, (also possible due to obesity / smoking / excess alcohol / lack of exercise / health problems such as diabetes, CKD, liver disease, thyroid problems etc).
While milk and yogurt are not specifically named as culprits, I am looking at the view that they contribute to total saturated fats consumed. Butter, cream, and cheese are specified as problem items, but I assume this is due to high saturates in these items.

Our bodies do need fats, and I eat fats, but with 7.7 mmol/L cholesterol I simply want to restrict saturates so I have more freedom in my other food choices, and I felt it may be useful to highlight 2 low saturated fat options which were not loaded with additives.
Interestingly our body can produce 80% of the cholesterol it needs, so most people can safely reduce the amount they eat https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/how-its-made-cholesterol-production-in-your-body

Last edited:
The research literature on the interconnections between CVD, the biochemistry of all the different fats and the genetics is so bewildering, I cannot figure out any rational response to it in trying to frame a suitable diet for myself. Yes, I wanted three years ago to talk with a dietitian to help me beat diabetes without meds. My surgery said I could see a dietitian only if I was already on insulin! What an imbecilic way to deal with someone trying their best not to burden the NHS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back