Situation Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I haven't been about for a while, so I thought I would let you all know how things are going.

Keelboat Sailing:
Unfortunately, I have so many appointments with Doctors; Stroke and Diabetes Clinics; Physiotherapists; Podiatrists; Dentists; Opticians; Nurses ..... etc, I had to invest my first full pension payment [received last month] in a smart phone. Primarily this is for on the go access to my Calendar, but also for access to Google Maps and the Lothian Bus App. As I have previously made clear, I have major concerns about privacy and security in the modern smart phone eco-system... So, this was a decision based on desperate need as opposed to something I desired.

On a more positive note, having a new phone forced me to review my Data Plan, and I found an unlimited PAYG plan from ASDA, (Vodafone) for £25 a month for my MiFi, along with a £5 a month, 5GB PAYG sim for when my new phone is away from the MiFi base station.

For comparison: For the MiFi alone, I was previously paying £25 a month for a 100GB contract directly from Vodafone. While, technically, I am actually paying £5 a month more, I am now connecting three devices: Laptop, Phone and Chrome-cast. Plus, the unlimited data means that I can treat myself to little luxuries like a Netflix subscription. [£10/month]

I could actually have got a PAYG unlimited data subscription from Smarty (Three) for £20/month, but the Three network is spotty, and, even in cities like Edinburgh, where it has good overall coverage, there are a great many dead zones.

Anyway, health permitting, I still intend to try Keel-boating, but, given other budgetary pressures, (see below,) it wont be till next spring.

Health:
I am still losing weight, albeit more slowly, and am now down to 79kg, (from 95kg at the end of April). The Diabetic Clinic has referred me back to my GP for primary Diabetes management; however, my vision has deteriorated significantly.

To explain further: Back at the end of April, I was prescribed two pairs of glasses, reading and distance, which were covered by my health exemption certificate. Unfortunately, the lenses kept on falling out of the reading glasses. To be fair, Specsavers were great at putting the lens back in, but, last month, when I got my pension I decided to invest in a second spare pair of reading glasses, and, with the two for one special, I treated myself to a pair of prescription polaroid sunglasses. As a result, Specsavers gave me one of their Golden Tickets.

Anyway, last week, I was yet again having the lens re-attached on the original reading glasses and mentioned to the Optician how the Diabetes was playing havoc with my eyesight. He gave me a very informal, impromptu eye test, and said that, while after only 5 months, I wouldn't normally qualify for a free eye test, he thought that in my case it was warranted.

It turned out that I now have noticeable cataracts and have been referred to the Eye-Pavilion. Unfortunately, there is a five to six year waiting list for artificial lens implants, but, with triaging, this may be reduced to a couple of years.

So, with a new prescription/NHS voucher for distance glasses and various customer rewards like the Golden Ticket, I was able to get a £400 top of the range, pair of tailor made varifocals with chromatic reaction lenses plus all the trimmings for £100.

I know my eyesight is deteriorating rapidly and consequently gave this expenditure a great deal of thought. Prior to the appointment, I decided that if I can get one years' use out of the new glasses then it would be worth the expenditure. So, when the Optician assured me that I should get about 18 months use out of them, a £100 expenditure for a £400 pair of glasses seemed well worth the price.

Dentist:
Unfortunately, because of the gum disease brought on by the Diabetes, my Dentist had to remove all my top teeth. This was a few weeks ago, and now that the stitches have started to dissolve, there appears to be a large piece of root, or small tooth, remaining from one of the back molars.

Heating and otherwise preparing for winter
I don't know if you noticed, but even though this years hurricane season has been remarkably quiet, a few weeks ago a major hurricane hit the Greenland and the Arctic circle. This type of weather event upsets the jet stream and, months later, will send cold waves down over the US, UK and Europe. In addition, it is a La Niña year, and, as a consequence, the outlook for winter is extremely bleak.

I spend a great deal of time on the street, so, last week, I bought a couple of pairs of thermal long johns and two thermal undershirts. With a cold wind off the North sea blowing right up my kilt, I have been wearing an undershirt the last couple of days, and it really makes a difference. I also bought a few extra layers of thick, heavy duty cotton hoodies for outside use.

In my squat, I have been going around fitting draft excluders and otherwise minimising heat loss. The squat consist of a storage area where my patron keeps his collection of vintage telephone equipment and about 30 square metres of office space where I live. Analysing the heat sources, I have:
  • Fridge/Freezer
  • Two TV/Monitors
  • Laptop
  • Kettle
  • Microwave
  • Oven
  • Cooker/Hotplate
  • Low wattage LED Lighting
  • Shower
In addition, I have a 2.5 Kw heater, which by this time of the year, I would normally be using regularly.

In an attempt to minimise the use of the heater, for lounging/sleeping, I invested in a couple of pairs of soft cotton jogging pants; large sleeping t-shirts; a warm soft hoody, a terry cloth bath robe and thermal slipper-socks. I also replaced the LED light bulb in my desk-lamp with an old 25 watt filament light bulb. This is an old survivalist trick, which, in it's original form, involved burning a candle. In my case, sitting at my desk, the heat radiating from the desk-lamp is very noticeable.

The upshot is that, as yet, I have still to turn on the 2.5 Kw heater

Housing:
This is the one that is causing the most concern and soul searching.

With no priorities, the waiting list for social housing in Edinburgh is 143 years. For me, from a bureaucratic point of view, technically I am classed as a 'rough sleeper' or 'street homeless', this gives me silver priority for which the waiting list is 4 years. So, with the preceding in mind, and noting my health problems and other age related infirmities are only going to get worse, about two weeks ago I allowed myself to be talked into applying for social housing.

There is a bureaucratic process and I am still waiting for official confirmation, but at the time of my assessment interview, (before being diagnosed with cataracts,) the housing officer said a number of things that, while not quite registering, didn't subsequently make sense. So, yesterday, I went back for confirmation. In a nutshell: It appears I am being awarded gold priority with a 6 or 7 month waiting list, and [even worse?] they are strongly suggesting I move into an assisted living facility.

Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that these places are like gold and, even in 'progressive' cities like Edinburgh, never mind the rest of the country, the waiting lists for assisted living make it unattainable for most people except through private provision. In addition, once I am in the system, it will open up the doors to a much greater level of support and advice. Even more importantly, given the way the economy is tanking under the current Tory leadership, I would almost certainly be insulated from the worst effects of the looming economic crisis.

Having said all that, it's still a big step which seems to be happening on a much quicker timescale than I originally anticipated.

Like I say, I know there are no miracles here. Basic physics [Entropy] says I can only get older, and many of my friends and patrons have suggested they will "Slap me up and down Leith Walk" if I fail to take up the offer. However, it still seems like giving up.

Hope you are all well
Irvine

I haven't been about for a while, so I thought I would let you all know how things are going.

Keelboat Sailing:
Unfortunately, I have so many appointments with Doctors; Stroke and Diabetes Clinics; Physiotherapists; Podiatrists; Dentists; Opticians; Nurses ..... etc, I had to invest my first full pension payment [received last month] in a smart phone. Primarily this is for on the go access to my Calendar, but also for access to Google Maps and the Lothian Bus App. As I have previously made clear, I have major concerns about privacy and security in the modern smart phone eco-system... So, this was a decision based on desperate need as opposed to something I desired.

On a more positive note, having a new phone forced me to review my Data Plan, and I found an unlimited PAYG plan from ASDA, (Vodafone) for £25 a month for my MiFi, along with a £5 a month, 5GB PAYG sim for when my new phone is away from the MiFi base station.

For comparison: For the MiFi alone, I was previously paying £25 a month for a 100GB contract directly from Vodafone. While, technically, I am actually paying £5 a month more, I am now connecting three devices: Laptop, Phone and Chrome-cast. Plus, the unlimited data means that I can treat myself to little luxuries like a Netflix subscription. [£10/month]

I could actually have got a PAYG unlimited data subscription from Smarty (Three) for £20/month, but the Three network is spotty, and, even in cities like Edinburgh, where it has good overall coverage, there are a great many dead zones.

Anyway, health permitting, I still intend to try Keel-boating, but, given other budgetary pressures, (see below,) it wont be till next spring.

Health:
I am still losing weight, albeit more slowly, and am now down to 79kg, (from 95kg at the end of April). The Diabetic Clinic has referred me back to my GP for primary Diabetes management; however, my vision has deteriorated significantly.

To explain further: Back at the end of April, I was prescribed two pairs of glasses, reading and distance, which were covered by my health exemption certificate. Unfortunately, the lenses kept on falling out of the reading glasses. To be fair, Specsavers were great at putting the lens back in, but, last month, when I got my pension I decided to invest in a second spare pair of reading glasses, and, with the two for one special, I treated myself to a pair of prescription polaroid sunglasses. As a result, Specsavers gave me one of their Golden Tickets.

Anyway, last week, I was yet again having the lens re-attached on the original reading glasses and mentioned to the Optician how the Diabetes was playing havoc with my eyesight. He gave me a very informal, impromptu eye test, and said that, while after only 5 months, I wouldn't normally qualify for a free eye test, he thought that in my case it was warranted.

It turned out that I now have noticeable cataracts and have been referred to the Eye-Pavilion. Unfortunately, there is a five to six year waiting list for artificial lens implants, but, with triaging, this may be reduced to a couple of years.

So, with a new prescription/NHS voucher for distance glasses and various customer rewards like the Golden Ticket, I was able to get a £400 top of the range, pair of tailor made varifocals with chromatic reaction lenses plus all the trimmings for £100.

I know my eyesight is deteriorating rapidly and consequently gave this expenditure a great deal of thought. Prior to the appointment, I decided that if I can get one years' use out of the new glasses then it would be worth the expenditure. So, when the Optician assured me that I should get about 18 months use out of them, a £100 expenditure for a £400 pair of glasses seemed well worth the price.

Dentist:
Unfortunately, because of the gum disease brought on by the Diabetes, my Dentist had to remove all my top teeth. This was a few weeks ago, and now that the stitches have started to dissolve, there appears to be a large piece of root, or small tooth, remaining from one of the back molars.

Heating and otherwise preparing for winter
I don't know if you noticed, but even though this years hurricane season has been remarkably quiet, a few weeks ago a major hurricane hit the Greenland and the Arctic circle. This type of weather event upsets the jet stream and, months later, will send cold waves down over the US, UK and Europe. In addition, it is a La Niña year, and, as a consequence, the outlook for winter is extremely bleak.

I spend a great deal of time on the street, so, last week, I bought a couple of pairs of thermal long johns and two thermal undershirts. With a cold wind off the North sea blowing right up my kilt, I have been wearing an undershirt the last couple of days, and it really makes a difference. I also bought a few extra layers of thick, heavy duty cotton hoodies for outside use.

In my squat, I have been going around fitting draft excluders and otherwise minimising heat loss. The squat consist of a storage area where my patron keeps his collection of vintage telephone equipment and about 30 square metres of office space where I live. Analysing the heat sources, I have:
  • Fridge/Freezer
  • Two TV/Monitors
  • Laptop
  • Kettle
  • Microwave
  • Oven
  • Cooker/Hotplate
  • Low wattage LED Lighting
  • Shower
In addition, I have a 2.5 Kw heater, which by this time of the year, I would normally be using regularly.

In an attempt to minimise the use of the heater, for lounging/sleeping, I invested in a couple of pairs of soft cotton jogging pants; large sleeping t-shirts; a warm soft hoody, a terry cloth bath robe and thermal slipper-socks. I also replaced the LED light bulb in my desk-lamp with an old 25 watt filament light bulb. This is an old survivalist trick, which, in it's original form, involved burning a candle. In my case, sitting at my desk, the heat radiating from the desk-lamp is very noticeable.

The upshot is that, as yet, I have still to turn on the 2.5 Kw heater

Housing:
This is the one that is causing the most concern and soul searching.

With no priorities, the waiting list for social housing in Edinburgh is 143 years. For me, from a bureaucratic point of view, technically I am classed as a 'rough sleeper' or 'street homeless', this gives me silver priority for which the waiting list is 4 years. So, with the preceding in mind, and noting my health problems and other age related infirmities are only going to get worse, about two weeks ago I allowed myself to be talked into applying for social housing.

There is a bureaucratic process and I am still waiting for official confirmation, but at the time of my assessment interview, (before being diagnosed with cataracts,) the housing officer said a number of things that, while not quite registering, didn't subsequently make sense. So, yesterday, I went back for confirmation. In a nutshell: It appears I am being awarded gold priority with a 6 or 7 month waiting list, and [even worse?] they are strongly suggesting I move into an assisted living facility.

Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that these places are like gold and, even in 'progressive' cities like Edinburgh, never mind the rest of the country, the waiting lists for assisted living make it unattainable for most people except through private provision. In addition, once I am in the system, it will open up the doors to a much greater level of support and advice. Even more importantly, given the way the economy is tanking under the current Tory leadership, I would almost certainly be insulated from the worst effects of the looming economic crisis.

Having said all that, it's still a big step which seems to be happening on a much quicker timescale than I originally anticipated.

Like I say, I know there are no miracles here. Basic physics [Entropy] says I can only get older, and many of my friends and patrons have suggested they will "Slap me up and down Leith Walk" if I fail to take up the offer. However, it still seems like giving up.

Hope you are all well
Irvine

@IrvineHimself , as I understand it, assisted living isn't necessarily an over-bearing experience. It is more there are folks around to help, should you need it and to check in on you if you haven't been sighted in a while. The apartments (or whatever) usually have alarms etc, to allow you to raise concerns too.

We have an assisted living place in our village, right in the middle of the £0.5m+ houses, so it is kept very well. There seems to be a clamouring to get in there!

Regarding your cell phone and data usage/provider, if you are not tied into any contract, it is worthwhile looking at SMARTY. Their deals are a rolling month, so you are never tied to them. They allow tethering from your phone for surfing, if you want to, but they do also have data only SIMs, including an "unlimited" option.

My direct debit with Smarty is notionally £8 a month for unlimited calls and texts, plus 3gb data, but for unused data I have a rebate of £1 per gigabyte, so if I use no data my monthly bill is £5. In reality, it is usually about £5.50. They do have other deals with larger data allowances, without the potential for rebate, so it's up to the individual to choose what is best for them.

You can change deal monthly. The piggy-back the 3 network. https://smarty.co.uk/

My OH has been with them almost since the beginning, and I joined when they launched wifi calling, to help out in spots with wifi, but low mobile signals - like our house!

I'm so pleased to hear your news, and especially so much of it being positive. Keep up the good work. 🙂

@AndBreathe: Yes, you are correct. assisted living places do seem to be very popular with a thriving private market. Logically, especially in a wealthy, 'progressive' city like Edinburgh which tries to provide good quality social/health care, I would be nuts not to take any offer. What is causing me anguish is that I applied believing I would have four or five years to get used to the idea, not the six or seven months that is now being suggested.

With regard to SMARTY: As always, the problem is in the detail. Nominally, all the UK networks, O2, EE, Three and Vodafone have around 95% coverage. However this only tells part of the story. Out in the sticks dead zones are to be expected. However, in the cities, there are also dead zones caused by network topology, network frequencies, buildings and a host of other factors. While this is a particular problem with 5G, it is also a problem with 4G, albeit to a lesser extent. In this regard, the Three network is notoriously patchy.

Being something of a geek, I regularly 'borrow' friends cell-phones in order to physically check cellular connectivity in out of the way locations my area. In these tests, Vodafone wins hands down, with neither Three, EE nor O2 coming close to providing full coverage. Please note, I am talking about connectivity in out of the way locations that your average member of the public would be unlikely to discover or visit.

The main downside to Vodafone is its privacy policy, which, the last time I checked, admittedly a few years ago, was the lowest rated of all the main UK providers. At the time, Virgin Media, now part of O2, won hands down. However, a good quality VPN registered to a disposable email and paid for with an anonymous Amazon Gift Card from Tesco can take care of that particular problem, As can prepaid throw-away sims combined with some judicious hacking of the 'Machine ID' of your device :D

Irvine

Sorry about your eyes and teeth. I’ve had 3 of mine out and it was not an enjoyable experience. Hopefully we won’t loose anymore.

You still have a few months to wrap your mind around it. Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back