sitagliptin - Anyone on using this medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I have been on Metformin in the past and am now on Jardiance - which is horrid, the side effects are constant and I just can’t take being on it any more. A friend of mine is a diabetic Nurse and she has recommended asking to be changed to Sitagiptin. But when I looked this up, it seems to have headaches as a side effect.
I was wondering if anyone has experience of this tablet and if you got headaches?
I am thinking I might go back to metformin, and grin and bear the bad stomachs it gives as it seems the least of all the side effects the others seem to carry.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
I just wish they could find a magic cure for diabetes.

Thanks

Trish

I was on Sitagliptin but CCG recommended people changed to A.iogliptin(same drug family). I take alongside SR Metformin have done number of years, I have never suffered headaches with either the Sitagliptin or Aliogliptin.

I was initially on Metformin, then metformin with Januvia, I had no side effects with either or both.

Hi @Tish. I am in my third month of Sitagliptin 100mg. So far I have had no headaches or other noticeable side effects. It also appears to have lowered my blood glucose levels, according to my self-testing - am yet to have a HbA1c test, which will hopefully confirm this.
I was not on medication immediately prior to this, but back in 2019 I was briefly on Metformin but was taken off it owing to the gut problems it caused.
You should consider taking Sitagliptin, if your doctor says it's suitable and if you get any side effects, stop - but hopefully you'll get none.
Good luck with it! Nick

From what I’ve heard Sitagliptin is a bit of an experimental drug. I’ve been offered it also as it’s apparently useful for type 2 but also LADA diabetics as it can preserve beta cell function. When I say experimental I mean it works well in some but not in others so a kind of suck it and see…but well worth a try I’d say. It seems to be well tolerated by the majority. I totally get the apprehension about new drugs. I’m on nothing at the minute but I really think I should be. I spoke to a guy called professor Franklin, top of the endocrinology game. He thought Sitagliptin could be quite useful for me.

Hi @Tish. I am in my third month of Sitagliptin 100mg. So far I have had no headaches or other noticeable side effects. It also appears to have lowered my blood glucose levels, according to my self-testing - am yet to have a HbA1c test, which will hopefully confirm this.
I was not on medication immediately prior to this, but back in 2019 I was briefly on Metformin but was taken off it owing to the gut problems it caused.
You should consider taking Sitagliptin, if your doctor says it's suitable and if you get any side effects, stop - but hopefully you'll get none.
Good luck with it! Nick
Hi, I like you managed to reverse my diabetes about 5 years ago, but this past year my numbers have crept up, being at 53 now. I think I am really prone to the side effects considering that both tablets I have tried so far have caused me issue.
Thanks for the info, it has made me a little less apprehensive and I think I will try and push for this drug. The dr wouldn’t give it to me last time I asked, didn’t say why, just that the one I am presently on was newer. I didn’t know about the horrid side effects it gave, else I would have def refused.
Thank you

From what I’ve heard Sitagliptin is a bit of an experimental drug. I’ve been offered it also as it’s apparently useful for type 2 but also LADA diabetics as it can preserve beta cell function. When I say experimental I mean it works well in some but not in others so a kind of suck it and see…but well worth a try I’d say. It seems to be well tolerated by the majority. I totally get the apprehension about new drugs. I’m on nothing at the minute but I really think I should be. I spoke to a guy called professor Franklin, top of the endocrinology game. He thought Sitagliptin could be quite useful for me.

I was prescribed it ten years ago for type 2.

I'm Type 1 and I've been taking sitagliptin (along with insulin) since diagnosis 1.5 years ago with no noticeable side effects.

There have been a few times I've forgotten to take my tablet at the usual time. On those days, I can see my blood sugar is a tiny bit higher.

Then there was one day where I accidentally took two sitagliptin rather than one and my blood sugar was significantly lower than usual for the following 8-ish hours.

Both situations confirm that sitagliptin works well for me.

I’ve been on Sitagliptin since January and haven’t noticed any side effects at all and I’m quite prone to headaches. I take two different pills for migraines.

The pharma giants have to list all side effects noted during drug trials so if one person out of 2000 experienced headaches, it has to go on the list.

I pretty sure my doctor said to me that Sitagliptin is very safe because it stops working if your BG is low so the chances of a hypo are low. That conversation however was my first visit and things were a bit overwhelming and confusing that day so I could be wrong.

Hi, I like you managed to reverse my diabetes about 5 years ago, but this past year my numbers have crept up, being at 53 now. I think I am really prone to the side effects considering that both tablets I have tried so far have caused me issue.
Thanks for the info, it has made me a little less apprehensive and I think I will try and push for this drug. The dr wouldn’t give it to me last time I asked, didn’t say why, just that the one I am presently on was newer. I didn’t know about the horrid side effects it gave, else I would have def refused.
Thank you
Hi. Yes, I managed 13 years as T2 without needing medication, but in recent years HbA1c has teetered around 53, with my low BMI and low BP mitigating need for meds. Apparently, as you age, the condition, and your body's ability to control it, gradually worsens. In my case, that has eventually made medication necessary, and Sitagliptin seems to be very appropriate and doing the trick, as it seems to have lowered by background blood glucose levels. There's nothing much more I can do with diet and exercise.
I believe Sitagliptin has been prescribed since the early 2010s and only a few previous forum posts refer to side effects - the others being more positive.
Cheers Nick

I’ve been on Sitagliptin since January and haven’t noticed any side effects at all and I’m quite prone to headaches. I take two different pills for migraines.

The pharma giants have to list all side effects noted during drug trials so if one person out of 2000 experienced headaches, it has to go on the list.

I pretty sure my doctor said to me that Sitagliptin is very safe because it stops working if your BG is low so the chances of a hypo are low. That conversation however was my first visit and things were a bit overwhelming and confusing that day so I could be wrong.
I also understand that it has little risk of causing low blood sugar. I understand that it works by suppressing the natural process to "switch off" insulin production after eating, so prolonging the natural insulin production stimulated by eating, hence reducing blood glucose levels. As I understand it, if these levels then get too low, other natural processes release blood glucose into the system to compensate. So it performs quite a clever "tweak" to the system.

Hi. Yes, I managed 13 years as T2 without needing medication, but in recent years HbA1c has teetered around 53, with my low BMI and low BP mitigating need for meds. Apparently, as you age, the condition, and your body's ability to control it, gradually worsens. In my case, that has eventually made medication necessary, and Sitagliptin seems to be very appropriate and doing the trick, as it seems to have lowered by background blood glucose levels. There's nothing much more I can do with diet and exercise.
I believe Sitagliptin has been prescribed since the early 2010s and only a few previous forum posts refer to side effects - the others being more positive.
Cheers Nick
Apparently, as you age, the condition, and your body's ability to control it, gradually worsens.

This does worry me. Because I was diagnosed at 43, and it’s so hard to control now I wonder how hard it’s gonna get. Nick were you ever tested for type 1 antibodies ?

This is really reassuring to hear!
Thank you

I also understand that it has little risk of causing low blood sugar. I understand that it works by suppressing the natural process to "switch off" insulin production after eating, so prolonging the natural insulin production stimulated by eating, hence reducing blood glucose levels. As I understand it, if these levels then get too low, other natural processes release blood glucose into the system to compensate. So it performs quite a clever "tweak" to the system.
Thank you. All these reassuring comments from lovely people are making me confident that if the dr will allow me to, that this tablet might be the way forward for me
I am finding that it is becoming more and more difficult to control my sugars with just diet and exercise - so I need something.
Thank you

Apparently, as you age, the condition, and your body's ability to control it, gradually worsens.

This does worry me. Because I was diagnosed at 43, and it’s so hard to control now I wonder how hard it’s gonna get. Nick were you ever tested for type 1 antibodies ?
Yes. I was tested for Type 1 and also for a gene that causes abnormally high "normal" blood glucose levels, but was negative for both. I understand I was tested because I was unusually slim for a newly diagnosed Type 2, and owing to significant family history, on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back