Sitagliptin and BS levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychomuso

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
At my review last week the consultant took me off Glucophage (I was still struggling with GI effects) and put me on 100mg Sitagliptin. He also told me to test myself twice a day to make sure I wasn't going too high or too low. Previous to this, my testing had been pretty erratic as my GP said I should only test once a week but most of my readings were within accepted levels. I'm now getting much higher readings (yesterday I went right up to 15.9 and I was 9.1 this morning).
Does anyone know how effective Sitagliptin is on its own? I get the feeling it's not working as well as the Glucophage but I'm reluctant to add that back in firstly, because my stomach is much more settled and secondly, because I wasn't told I could.
My next review is at the end of January so I don't have to wait too long to find out how it's affecting my HbA1C but it might be useful if I could go back armed with some ideas.

Hi Sheila, I have no experience of the drug, but is it possible that it may take a little while to become effective? These drugs all muck about with our body chemistry in one way or another, and it's possible that the body has a little resistance initially. Hope the numbers start looking better soon! 🙂

At my review last week the consultant took me off Glucophage (I was still struggling with GI effects) and put me on 100mg Sitagliptin. He also told me to test myself twice a day to make sure I wasn't going too high or too low. Previous to this, my testing had been pretty erratic as my GP said I should only test once a week but most of my readings were within accepted levels. I'm now getting much higher readings (yesterday I went right up to 15.9 and I was 9.1 this morning).
Does anyone know how effective Sitagliptin is on its own? I get the feeling it's not working as well as the Glucophage but I'm reluctant to add that back in firstly, because my stomach is much more settled and secondly, because I wasn't told I could.
My next review is at the end of January so I don't have to wait too long to find out how it's affecting my HbA1C but it might be useful if I could go back armed with some ideas.

Dear Psychomuso,

Sitagliptin is the first of a new class of drugs known as 'incretin enhancers'. When carbohydrates are eaten incretin is produced and this stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. The trouble with type 2 diabetics is that they have a reduced incretin response and the half life of incretin is very short. DPP-IV (dipeptyl peptidase-IV) is responsible for neutralising incretin but Sitagliptin inhibits this so that the body can make the best use of what incretin is produced. The problem is there have been no long-term tests, but in the short term it has been shown to work well. If it is not working for you after a short while, you should go and talk to your Dr. ASAP.

Regards Dodger

Last edited:
Thanks Dodger, I did speak to my friend who came to the appointment with me and she reminded me that the consultant said I could get in touch with them if I was having problems. She said she would speak to one of the DSNs today to see if she had any advice (it's not always easy to get hold of consultants). It has only been a week and I know I've been a bit stressed after my eye test results so that might explain why I'm running a bit high.

Sitagliptin is the first of a new class of drugs known as 'incretin enhancers'. When carbohydrates are eaten incretin is produced and this stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. The trouble with type 2 diabetics is that they have a reduced incretin response and the half life of incretin is very short. DPP-IV (dipeptyl peptidase-IV) is responsible for neutralising incretin but Sitagliptin inhibits this so that the body can make the best use of what incretin is produced.

Regards Dodger
Does this mean a low carb diet is not suitable when taking sitagliptin?
I started on sitagliptin 3 weeks ago and my morning fasting levels have dropped from 7.8 to 5.5 :D

Does this mean a low carb diet is not suitable when taking sitagliptin?
I started on sitagliptin 3 weeks ago and my morning fasting levels have dropped from 7.8 to 5.5 :D

Dear cocacola,

Absolutely not a controlled carb approach is always beneficial no matter what drug is being taken. If you don't put the glucose (ie carbohydrate) in your body - how can you have high blood sugar!

Regards Dodger

Thanks Dodger, but I'm still a little confused :confused:
I started sitagliptin 3 weeks ago and also started to reduce my carbs.
I was previously a bit of a chocoholic and carboholic 🙄
I am gradually trying to reduce carbs, but still trying to find my way around substituting the carbs for other foods.
My morning fasting BG are doing really well and dropped from 7.8 to 5.5 in 3 weeks. Plus I am 5lbs lighter :D
Just a little confused about the lack of incretin and how sitagliptin affects BG.

Thanks Dodger, but I'm still a little confused :confused:
I started sitagliptin 3 weeks ago and also started to reduce my carbs.
I was previously a bit of a chocoholic and carboholic 🙄
I am gradually trying to reduce carbs, but still trying to find my way around substituting the carbs for other foods.
My morning fasting BG are doing really well and dropped from 7.8 to 5.5 in 3 weeks. Plus I am 5lbs lighter :D
Just a little confused about the lack of incretin and how sitagliptin affects BG.

If I read Dodger's post correctly sitagliptin slows the loss of incretin which in turn means that more insulin is produced by the pancreas in response to the ingestion of carbohydrate. Consequently, the blood glucose levels should be reduced so long as the body uses the insulin correctly.

Also, your morning fasting BG looks very good to me! You should be pleased!

Andy

If I read Dodger's post correctly sitagliptin slows the loss of incretin which in turn means that more insulin is produced by the pancreas in response to the ingestion of carbohydrate. Consequently, the blood glucose levels should be reduced so long as the body uses the insulin correctly.

Andy

Dear Andy,

Got it in one!

Regards Dodger

Andy
Thanks Andy, yes I am very pleased with my recent results.
Just need to have my Hb1Ac test again, I'm curious :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back