Sir Steve Redgrave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarbum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was just watching this short film on Sir Steve and his Medtronic pump and sensors.....I notice he says he "is type 2, although there has been much debate about it".

Hm. Interesting. http://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/

Theres a whole load of questions about funding jumping about in my head and I cant get them out quick enough- and ethics.

What do you guys think?

Sir Steve hero!

T2???

amazed!

no that it matters

what was the question??

I seem to remember that he funded everything himself - probably gets a free pump from medtronic now and all the consumables he can eat! 🙂 I can certainly understand that an athlete at his level, and in his sport, he would need insulin to cover all his extra carb intake - he wouldn't have been able to reduce carbs like a non-athlete. He's a good example of what a person with diabetes can achieve, and an instantly recognisable name for anyone who doubts it 🙂

I notice he said 'I'm supposed to be type 2 but there's some debate about that'
Sounds as if no-ones sure, he certainly wouldn't have had antibody tests at the time he was diagnosed and now they might not show anything up. Since, he's been treated clinically as a type 1, the tests would be of interest now rather than serve a real function.
My moneys still on LADA. The Swansea university LADA site includes a quote from him (though doesn't explicitly say that he has it)
With an official type 2 diagnosis he was lucky that he had the renown/money to be able to get the best advice and equipment. It would have been an entirely different situation if he had been a good amateur sportsman rather than a world class rower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back