Sir Ranulph Fiennes: Diabetes link to Antarctica injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The suspected onset of diabetes may have been responsible for the frostbite that has forced the explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes to pull out of a gruelling expedition to cross Antarctica during the region's winter.

Speaking to BBC News in Cape Town in his first interview since leaving Antarctica last week, Sir Ranulph said that, while he considered the frostbite "a total mystery," an earlier annual medical check-up back in the UK had indicated that he "was on the verge... of type-two diabetes".

A South African vascular surgeon, examining his damaged left hand this week, had, he said, "suggested that if that's a recent change in my bodily system it? could have gone for any area in my body that was susceptible to circulation changes".

Further tests will be required back in the UK to confirm the theory.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21647934

That should scupper the 'only happens to the fat and lazy' theorists, given that Sir Ran is probably one of the fittest men ever to have strode the planet! I would have thought though, that he would have needed to be undiagnosed for quite some time, but there again I got chilblains in my first few months after diagnosis, in Southampton in the summer, so who knows?

It would be interesting to know what his visceral fat levels (i.e. that surrounding the internal organs) are like.

He may be fit, but that doesn't necessarily mean that his visceral fat level is low.

I remember a programme looking at the fat-thin people of India. Many have high visceral fat levels despite being normal- or underweight.

It may also be a consequence of the high energy diet he no doubt has to eat for these antarctic/arctic adventures.

Well no - he will no doubt have got it by a) being elderly and b) over-exerting all his bodily parts.

It will never be put down to anything that causes a normal mortal to get it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back