simple tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,

This is a simple tip - but Adrienne mentioned it to me and i thought i would share it with you!
When checking blood, wipe the first droplet of blood away - so the second droplet is 'clean' and not contaminated by any surrounding dirt on finger or food etc.. Yes we always wash hands- but there are times when water isnt available and if you get into this habit - i doubt you would get any 'false' readings!
Simple!🙂Bev

eeek thanks bev, but my little blood vessels can only usually muster up one droplet :D

Good tip bev,

I always try and get a dome of blood so the blood being drawn up hasn't touched my skin.

cheers for the tip Bev i often have a few probs x

Yeah, I always do this. I actually carry around one of those little bottles of anti-bacterial hand gel with me. A little bit on the end of your finger will clean it enough before you do a blood test. Just remember to wipe off the first lot of blood as the gel can effect results!

The blood is usually pouring down my arm, so I just put the strip into the stream...😱:D

Only joking! The most difficult thing I have is when I am testing after a run and my hands are sweating - very difficult to get them cool enough so there's not sweat mixed in and also it does come out without squeezing and often smears rather than forming a neat little dome!

Yeah, I always do this. I actually carry around one of those little bottles of anti-bacterial hand gel with me. A little bit on the end of your finger will clean it enough before you do a blood test. Just remember to wipe off the first lot of blood as the gel can effect results!

Sam, I think I'v said this before, but your A1c is astonishing - I don't think I've seen one that low - even mine! Do you get many hypos?

Hi

Don't forget if you use the anti bacterial gel or wipes that if they have alcohol content they could affect your reading.

This one reason I always wipe first drop away (only tiny bit) and use the second drop. I would have thought even with a dome of blood you would be using the first drop so could be contaminated.

Just a thought.

Sam, I think I'v said this before, but your A1c is astonishing - I don't think I've seen one that low - even mine! Do you get many hypos?

Heheh! Thanks Northerner - always nice to get a compliment 🙂

As for the hypos, yeah I did have quite a few (like one a day) before I got that HBA1c result with the result that my doctor suggested I reduce my insulin dose a bit. My aim is to be in the 5s for my next result which will be in a few month's time. Fingers crossed!

Bev, you are a star with this tip! I started a thread this morning asking for advice re what to do if you cant wash your hands (this was a problem recently on the coach that my son was travelling on).

Thanks!!!!!!! 🙂🙂🙂

Hi Bev,

Thanks for the tip...will tell Nathan about it too..

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi

I have been doing this for years ever since J had grapes as a toddler and I tested her and she was in the 20's and I knew that at particular moment she should not be in the 20's so I wiped away the first drop of blood and hey presto the correct reading. Even when J has washed her hands I still do that out of habit. It is a very good and easy to do tip.

Bev, you are a star with this tip! I started a thread this morning asking for advice re what to do if you cant wash your hands (this was a problem recently on the coach that my son was travelling on).

Thanks!!!!!!! 🙂🙂🙂

I cant take the credit for it - it was Adrienne that mentioned it to me! I think thats why its great that we have a mix of people/parents with diabetes because we can all learn from each other! So thanks Adrienne!:DBev

I cant take the credit for it - it was Adrienne that mentioned it to me! I think thats why its great that we have a mix of people/parents with diabetes because we can all learn from each other! So thanks Adrienne!:DBev

No problemo, anytime. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back