simple maths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
I am almost embarassed to ask this question!
I am completely rubbish where maths is concerned - but i am confused.

If Alex is having 55 grams of carbs at a 1:15 ratio, do i 'round' it up to 60grams and then divide by 15 or do i divide by 15 and then 'round' up/down?

55 rounded up to 60g divided by 15 is 4 units of novorapid.

55 divided by 15 is 3.6666 'rounded' to nearest half unit is 3.5 units of novorapid.

So thats a difference of half a unit - and could make a big difference to Alex as he is on so little - so which sum should i use?:confused: Bev

For me I would do 3.5 units, thats assuming that I was in range before the meal.

If I was slightly at the top of range but not high enough for me to be correcting (7-9), I might round up and therefore go with the 4 units because I could take the slight extra insulin.

If I was high and correcting I would use 3.5 and add it to the correction units.

Hope that didn't confuse you even more. can't tell you which sum to use, but I expect your DSN would advise you to round down for safety

When it comes to rounding up or down, for me I go on what side of my target I am. So if I'm say 4.7 (my target is 4.5-7.5) I'd round down the unsulin but if I'm 7.3 I'd round up. Of course this is my way only and it may be different for Alex as he's more sensitive to the insulin. If you're worried, and as I guess it's an evening meal you may be more confortable rounding down...?

Hi Bev

I would do the second sum. ie 55 divide by 15 and I think it came to 3.6 ish didn't it. So that would mean rounding down to 3.5.

My friend who you'll meet at Hoburne has been doing this. If it is .1 or .2 round down, if .3 or .4 round up ie

3.1 round down to 3 units
3.2 round down
3.3 round up to 3.5
3.4 round up to 3.5

Don't forget this is just for the food. If Alex is too high then I would imagine you would be adding on some sort of correction as well (according to what your DSN has advised of course)

Hope that helps.

Hi thanks all!

Adrienne, yes i would add on his correction doses! I dont know whats happening on the other listing? Someone said i am posting to the off topic list - then someone said no i am not! I dont even know where the off topic list is! lol. Bev

Hi Bev

Jackie needs to sort you out on the list. Its because the server has all be changed. There are two lists, one is an open list from the www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org website which you originally joined. The other is a list that Jackie has to join you to. I'm not at home at the moment so cannot post to either list, only can here as it is a forum rather than an email list.

You are posting to the OT list, I've just looked (I can see emails but not reply). Email Jackie J to ask for the two different email addresses so you can distinguish.

Sorry everyone for totally going off topic here, won't do it again. I've just realised I can PM Bev, sorry.

hi bev,

if im slightly high but not high enough for a correction dose i would round up but if in good range i would round down. i tend to stay on the round down side of things till i know it is running on the higher end of my target range before rounding up and it has always worked for me 🙂

hope it helps and hope alex is ok

mike

Hi Bev,
Maths is not my strong point! Had very amusing moment last nite after eating too much chocolate and ended up at 17!! Could not for the life of me work it out, glad my other half was there cos I just had the giggles!!

Anyway back to the subject in hand I had this dilemma many times and has been made easier with a pen that does half units. Dont know if Alex has one or if they do them for kids? I have found my control is much better and have less of a mid-morning peak like I was having by just giving extra half unit. As a whole extra unit would have been too much.
Sorry cant give u an equasion (if thats how u spell it!) but I struggle with simple adding up. There are more pieces of aper in kitchen with bits of working out on.

Hi Janine,
I get a mental block when it comes to maths! Anyway, yes he does have a pen that goes up in half units - but Alex's problem is that he is extremely sensitive to even tiny amounts of a half unit! I think i will always go for the lower amount as this seems to be 'safer'. My kitchen is full of bits of paper with working out on too! So did you get your maths wrong last night or did you just keep eating too much chocolate?:D Bev

I ate too much and then got it wrong! I tend to inject after I eat. I gave in couldnt help myself it tasted so good! Oh well only one day, back on sensible food today!

I always have to get help with sums too! Hope you got the help you needed to work it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back