Silver Jewellery

Status
Not open for further replies.

sas77

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is a strange one but I needed to ask - I have a beautiful sterling silver Links of London bracelet that my wonderful husband bought me for our wedding a month ago😱. Over Monday night (when it was incredibly hot) my bracelet tarnished completely. I know that this is a weird question but do people with diabetes have different sweat than people without it? I only ask as it tarnished so quickly and a girl at work has the exact same bracelet, was equally as hot and hers is fine (she doesn't have diabetes). Is there, like, more sugar in our blood that turns silver black?

I do hope not - another thing that this disease stops me doing - wearing my wedding bracelet!! 😡

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah

salt, not sugar, tarnishes silver

It's salt, not sugar, that affects silver - think of silver salt pots with glass inner pots on antiques programmes.
Different people produce different amounts of sweat and different concentrations of salt - I can guarantee that my non-diabetic partner will be covered in salt crystals all over his face and body after orienteering tonight, but I'll just be mildly sweaty. Neither of us ever wear any jewellery (apart from watches), but I'm pretty sure he would tarnish anything made of silver.

It's salt, not sugar, that affects silver - think of silver salt pots with glass inner pots on antiques programmes.
Different people produce different amounts of sweat and different concentrations of salt - I can guarantee that my non-diabetic partner will be covered in salt crystals all over his face and body after orienteering tonight, but I'll just be mildly sweaty. Neither of us ever wear any jewellery (apart from watches), but I'm pretty sure he would tarnish anything made of silver.

That makes so much sense - I had a stir fry on Monday night and I thought that I overdid the old soy sauce!!

Thanks for the common sense.

New silver tends to tarnish quicker than once it has been worn for a while (or at least this was true of my Medic Alert bracelet and dogtag). I think once it's been worn for a while it gets a coating of oil which helps to prevent tarnishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back