Silent Heart Attack (Diabetic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

allander

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What advice can be available from anyone who has suffered a silent Diabetic heart attack. Welcome hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience. 🙂

Hi Allander just wanted to welcome you to the forum,I have never heard of this so i would also be interested if anyone knows anything.

Is that a Silent Heart attack or a diabetic that is silent about a heart attack. Never heard of it. When I had my heart attack 5yrs ago I was told that a heart attack is less severe for a diabetic than for a 'normal' person, but don't know the basis for this statement.

You will hear of people calling them mild heart attacks or severe heart attacks, but I don't think there is any medical grounding in these terms.
You will also hear of people having heart attacks that are only detected by ECGs and have had no apparent physical effects. A search of the internet did not produce any results for the term silent heart attack (other than adverts for a magazine article, and one person reporting an incident in hospital.).

Well done that man I searched on: "silent diabetic heart attack" which didn't pick that up. Looks a bit like and American term and the symptoms could be any number of things (especially for overweight diabetics, thats me).

I have never heard of the term either. My mum had an angina attack,which is related to the heart and the arteries and she was told it wasn't as serious as a heart attack and that some people call them silent heart attacks, but it is really something different (not sure if it makes sense or not). Any other information that comes this way would help all of us.

Found this which appears to be the most scientific explanation : http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/heart-health/heart_attack/all/

Quote: The incidence of silent myocardial ischemia, or symptomless heart attacks, is as much as 30% higher in people with diabetes than in people without diabetes.

Don't get too depressed with the statistics of your changes of survival!

P.S. it's American of course for watch those conversions.

On the day after I was diagnosed I was told that they thought I'd had a heart attack. I told them that I had not felt anything and they said that diabetics have less sensitivity. I think he was alluding to neuropathy. As things turned out, I hadn't had a heart attack, but something called myocarditis which can give the impression of a heart attack due to raised troponin levels - hwever, it's not an attack, but an inflammation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back