Signposting sheet for Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am updating a signposting sheet for my GP Practice, which they hand out to people at their appointments, and plan to make available on line. I tried to upload what I had so far, but failed, so I will just post the question anyway.

I separate it into
  • general,
  • T2,
  • T1
I tend not to include pumping as we are all seen at the hospital, but if it is going onto the website perhaps I should).
  • Has anyone done something similar?
I will include
  • Diabetes Support Forum
  • DUK website,
  • 100 things I wish ...
  • Careline and care events
  • Carbs and Cals and Collins Gem carb counter
  • Local support group
What other things would you include?
I make sure that I stick to a single side of A4 so it yin is easy for the Practice Nurse to print off.

information about testing (even if the practice doesn't support it for T2's)

I have an app on my phone called 'Cook and Count' which my consultant recommended, it enables me to put in all the ingredients for a recipes and it tells you the nutritional info for that dish, so I use it to carb count, alongside the carbs and calls one 🙂

It might be worth including other diabetes types too - LADA, Mody, gestational etc.

I might be tempted to offer Alan S's Test, Review, Adjust or Jennifer's Advice too if your surgery has a proactive approach to T2 self management.

I don't use the Collins book, but I gather (unless it has been updated recently) that the Carb Counter book was bizarrely slightly less helpful than the Calorie Counter version. The Calorie version specifies everything by 100g weight, while the Carb version says things like 'half a baguette' without saying how big the baguette might be.

I love Cook and Count too 🙂

How about sick day rules and some info on hypos too. Sounds useful.

I'd put down the Gretchen Becker book for Type 2s and the Ragnar Hanas book for Type 1s - both indispensable! 🙂

These ideas are very helpful, both for the signposting and myself. I have not heard of Cook and count, so will find out about that. I shall also look at the Ragnar Hanas book for Type 1 .

Any more suggestions still very welcome.

Just reading through again.
mike what is 'Jennifer's advice' for a proactive T2 group?

I can see why the articles you mentioned Northerner have stood the test of time.
They are very different styles which is useful.

Thanks to you all. My list is growing with the BMI calculator included. Thanks Clockwork Dodo.

I just offered to do this for the surgery when I was on the PPG and the offer to update it gives me another opportunity to talk to the diabetes nurse. I took in a copy of the 100 things, and some 15 Healthcare Essentials as well. Even if they already have some it helps to remind them of this. Also looked at the National Audit where the % getting all checks is not good and we discussed why.

Jennifer's Advice used not to mention testing before the meal as well as after it, ISTR? Was it changed? - cos we used to say look at this - but add the 'before'.

I was the 4th appointment this morning with the nurse at my surgery doing D checks. However I was actually the first since the first 3 hadn't bothered to turn up. She was bored as heck. Now I not only made the appointment and went and donated blood and pee for the lab tests last week, but I had an immediate email and text to say it was booked then last Wednesday I had email and text reminders, and same on Friday cos you always get another one the day before. Except originally I had two of everything because it was two appointments. So why don't they turn up? They ring them to enquire, if the number is correct and they answer, they are mega apologetic and remake it, only to not bother to turn up again, time after time.

They waste about 27 person hours a week from people not turning up. They are contracted to work 7.5 hours each day - but actually work an average of 9. The surgery is expected by their NHS contract to be able to offer 60 appointments each week per 1000 patients based on the intake of 12,000 patients. However they average 87 a week - almost 50% greater than the norm - and yet there is still a 3-week wait for one unless you are actually 'urgent' - but just like A&E absolutely everybody needing to see a GP believes they are 'urgent'. Our friends from the EU are certainly not prepared to wait that long for NHS services - they do not have to wait that long in their own country.

we are talking 'State provided' treatment here not 'Private' - eg one of our mates in France was diagnosed with 'most likely cataracts' by his GP last November so was ref'd to the hosp. Apt the following week. A fortnight later he had the first eye done and a month later, the other. Ha bloody ha. You can still be waiting for the first apt in the UK by THIS time forget last year!) - so whyever should they expect to wait, here in the UK ? What they do not appreciate though is where they have to go. If you are lucky, it may be relatively local to you in France as it was for ke's cataracts. We know someone else with a weird migraine thing, who lives and works near Chateauroux and has to go to Paris to see the consultant. She prescribes a drug eough for 6 months. However his Departement will only let him have ONE month. So he needs 6 scrips - but Paris don't allow the Consultant to supply 6 scrips. He can't get the scrip filled at a pharmacy in Paris because he does not live in their catchment area ......4 years down the line he is still on 'Magic Mushrooms' 'as and when' he needs them (recommended by the Consultant - he gets them sent from America - she told him where to get them) and I month on the drugs, which work! for 1 month in every 6 .......

Anyway my surgery has a mega proportion of 'under16 yo patients' in comparison to the adults - and let's face it - all kiddies can be 'urgent' genuinely.

Although the Test Review Adjust is targeted at T2, the logical approach to finding out what spikes BG is useful to all. I know for me in the early years of my T1 when I was concerned about highs after meals picked up when I was about to drive, a DSN (one I avoid if possible) suggested the solution was don't test. I am pleased that the others had more practical solutions, but none that I have seen go into the detail needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back