Sigh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
There's a young lady out there who is tired all the time, thirsty all the time and an Olympic class pee-er. We (me and A N Other) cannot convince her to either see her GP or pop into Boots/Lloyds for a quick test. She thinks she's invincible and it can't be anything serious, in spite of having all the classic symptoms, including the above and nausea too. If I could reach her, I'd give her a slap. We'll keep trying of course but short of giving her nightmares and upsetting the other forum members, there's not much more we can do.

Hmmm. Is it invinciblity, or is she scared of what it'll be and trying to avoid it? Be firm.

Can you private message her?

Hmmm. Is it invinciblity, or is she scared of what it'll be and trying to avoid it? Be firm.
Yes, yes and it's not that sort of forum so I have to be careful.

Can you private message her?
Did that last night, she hasn't replied. She has responded in the open forum but basically brushed it off. There's a strong hint of "this isn't happening to me", combined with "it's nothing - just a bug" and a lot of "it can't be serious, I'm young". She may just go off quietly and have the test, but I doubt it.

The other lady has a husband and two sons, all T1 (the youngest just diagnosed a week or so ago at 18), she knows this and she know I'm also diabetic. We know whereof we speak, but I think she feels we're making a fuss about nothing.

Things can be quite different depending on the forum you're on. What you can do and what people talk about varies quite a bit.
"Mustn't make a fuss!" and problems with "confrontation". That's holder me back some.

It's so frustrating, and all it would take is a simple test :( Of course, it's the possible consequences of that test that are frightening and I do understand that feeling of just not wanting to know, unless it's good news (feel that way about the problems with my eyes). Not a great deal you can do beyond what you have already done, horses to water and all that :(

Alison, I had a situation a few months ago when lunching with some of my OH's extended family, whereby the lady sitting next to me pretty much described the warning signs to me, and rounded off saying she'd probably need a nap after lunch. The young lady is in her mid-40s, so all grown up, with a great career, madly busy family life and all the usual stuff. She is a very determined person, and almost as stubborn as I am (nobody out-ranks me in the stubborn department!), so telling her what to do wouldn't be met with a positive response. During the afternoon, I had a bit of think about how to tackle some of the things I wanted to say, and came up with this strategy.

I told her that a few years ago I'd had a few of the symptoms she was experiencing (actually that was an untruth, but heh,...... I'll live with it) and realised that my symptoms ebbed and flowed around my eating, so I started experimenting with my diet. As she had historically found she could induce or prevent her migraines by eating, or declining certain foods, I knew that might prick her interest. I explained that it fairly quickly became clear that when I had a carb-tastic meal - like a sandwich, with a cake afterwards or a pasta salad, just as easy but quite extreme examples, I felt a bit weary afterwards. Having got there, I decided to knock those things on the head for a week and see how I felt. I told her I based my "exclusion" eating on the Atkins programme, to make it easily Google/research-able. I didn't link it to diabetes. In my experience, people, generally, are far more open too discuss food intolerances than anything you give a condition/disease name to.

Anyway, fast forward a month or so and she told me she had tried the Atkins and was astonished by how she felt within a week, after a few days of carb withdrawal. I may possibly have been somewhat minxy in suggesting that carb-flu was probably a good sign that she was getting rid of an overload on her system. 😳 She had also lost weight, which she has always struggled to do.

At the end of our subsequent chat, I suggested she should have a chat with her Doc and maybe have some bloods done, as she works rotational shifts and suggested she look up Vitamin D and shift working.

She's had the usual bloods done, and although not diabetic, she is perilously close to pre-diabetes, and lacking Vitamin D, so her Doc has given her Vit D and wants to retest in 3 months. She's sticking with an Atkins-ish diet as she's now finding it quite easy.

Who knows what the future holds for her, but trimming up a bit and sorting her Vit D can't have harmed her anyway.

Of course, I may never get to heaven, but I just knew giving her an easy way to explore was more likely to succeed that have her think I was being a know-it-all.

As my OH has said to me many times,............... "You know, you can't cure the world." That's usually when I'm watching folks on a reckless life path, with complete disregard how their own well-being.

It's tough to watch a car crash unfold before the eyes.

.../It's tough to watch a car crash unfold before the eyes.
Yup, and it gets better. She just replied to last night's PM to say there's a family history and not to worry, she's fine. She said she had a test recently, but doesn't know the results and hasn't bothered asking. It looks more and more like that river in Egypt*. At least we tried.

* De Nile.

Unfortunately you can't force people to take your advice! As you say, you tried. The lady will find out soon enough when she becomes critically ill - some people unfortunately only understand when something really bad happens. Just try not to say "I told you so" !

Don't beat yourself up about it, clearly she doesn't want to know and the more you try and persuade her the less she'll listen it seems. :-(

Yes. If she is type one, then please please please don't play the 'I told you so' card.

I didn't want to make a fuss. I'd always been taught not to make a mountain out of a molehill. And having a brother with a terminal illness, we all just never really complained about our health. I did go to the doctors at one point, but he dismissed it saying I had depression and stress (parents had just split up) so I decided it was nothing. Kept working, thinking I was just over worked, what with studying at college, working and looking after my disabled brother. People told me what they thought I had, but I didn't have time to worry about me. I had seen the doctor, who had dismissed me, so I didn't want to have to talk to anyone else who would just say I was paranoid and making a fuss out of nothing.

Until I collapsed at work.

So in a way (but probably for different reasons) I was like this girl you described. And it was probably the worst thing I could have done, to ignore it. But eventually I had to face it.

(nobody out-ranks me in the stubborn department!),.

Now, there's a challenge! 😛 I suspect there are a lot of stubborn people on this forum - all determined to make the best of their lives.

I certainly rate quite highly in the stubbornness stakes:D

HOLD EVERYTHING! She's posted again and been to the docs and..... she's in the pudden club, which may well explain all the symptoms.

Of course, I was just about to suggest that...🙄 😉
Apparently she will be closely monitored because she's had a previous miscarriage, so if there should be a D complication it will be spotted.

Apparently she will be closely monitored because she's had a previous miscarriage, so if there should be a D complication it will be spotted.

Your work is done, Alison. 🙂

Yay. 🙂

HOLD EVERYTHING! She's posted again and been to the docs and..... she's in the pudden club, which may well explain all the symptoms.

In the what? Lol!

In the pudding club Rosie - she has a bun in the oven :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back