Sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindatype1

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My husband has had very bad diarrhoea with sickness for the last 5 days, he has a stoma he has not managed to eat anything at all, when he has tried a little he has brought it back up, the doctor has recommended that he just has snacks and water. Can anyone recommend any light snacks he could try he his also very dehydrated, his blood glucose is up and down.

What insulins does he take? Is he able to do correction doses if needed? How high is his blood sugar going? Does he have ketones?

Tummy upsets are really horrible when you have diabetes. I tend to sip regular sugar Coke. Sometimes I have a little bit of normal sugar yoghurt or a dry cracker. Soup can be good too. He needs to keep hydrated as much as he can. If water is making him feel sick, he could try some squash (sugar-free or sugar as needed).

He his on Lantus doctor has told him to leave off his metformin until it clears up, I dont know if he has ketones and he doesn't know either. Very good suggestion did not think he could have anything with sugar only if he was having a hypo. Thankyou you for your advice there is a lot to learn.

Can hubby manage a small piece of toast?

Tried some this morning had couple of bites then threw up, I have brought some drinks called fuel they are a food supplement sugar free he has drunk them.

The BRAT diet. Bananas, rice ( plain), apple sauce and toast ( dry). It works a treat. Plenty of water and hydration sachets if you can get hold of them. No dairy whatsoever though. If it doesn’t clear up in the next three days get in touch with GP. Good luck.

He his on Lantus doctor has told him to leave off his metformin until it clears up, I dont know if he has ketones and he doesn't know either. Very good suggestion did not think he could have anything with sugar only if he was having a hypo. Thankyou you for your advice there is a lot to learn.

Ah, ok - so he’s Type 2? I was confused by the ‘Type 1’ in your username. Did the doctor give you any advice about if/when you should call them back? 5 days is a long time to be suffering with D&V.

No he his type 1 it was me that put it in wrong but have changed it now he has 74 insulin a day of Lantus

No he his type 1 it was me that put it in wrong but have changed it now he has 74 insulin a day of Lantus

How long has he had Type 1 @Lindatype1 ? Does he have any Ketostix to test his blood sugar? (Urine strips) Does he have any fast-acting insulin? It’s very unusual for a Type 1 to just have long-acting insulin.

Are you sure about the type1? People on insulin can be type2 as well. If type1 he would be having another insulin (Bolus for meals) and not just Lantus.
If it were me I would contact out of hours GP due to age and medical conditions involved it sounds as if more help is required from the medical services.

5 plus days is a long time to have those symptoms and the risk of dehydration is quite high. That could lead to kidney problems so it would be advisable to get some prompt advice rather than waiting until Monday especially with his other medical issues.

How long has he had Type 1 @Lindatype1 ? Does he have any Ketostix to test his blood sugar? (Urine strips) Does he have any fast-acting insulin? It’s very unusual for a Type 1 to just have long-acting insulin.
Yes he does have ketostix to test his blood sugars, he doesn't have any fast acting insulin, few weeks ago they up his metformin to 75 after a check with a nurse.

Yes he does have ketostix to test his blood sugars, he doesn't have any fast acting insulin, few weeks ago they up his metformin to 75 after a check with a nurse.

Ketostix are urine dip sticks to specifically test for ketones. You can also get meters that test blood for ketones. These are not the same as a glucose meter.

If your husband is still struggling to keep anything down, I’d phone 111 for advice. There are anti-sickness meds that might be appropriate. They could also check how dehydrated he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back