Sickness bugs anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello
Just a question on how everyone deals with sickness bugs ? The last bug I had was when I didn’t know I was type 1 and ended in a very serious DKA, since then I’m petrified of getting sickness bugs and with them going round my kids school it’s really scary for me.
Just any advice welcome on dealing with it. ( I’m in trauma therapy for the dka so has been brought up but still bothers me )

@RoseH sorry to read about your completely understandable anxiety around being sick with diabetes.
There is one huge difference between the last time you were unwell and now - you have the tools to manage your diabetes.
When we are unwell, as you have experienced, our blood sugar levels rise. Therefore, we need to take more insulin. If you do so, your levels should not go so high for you to get high ketones and DKA.

Ideally, your diabetes teams has explained the "Sick day rules". If not, this provides a good overview and something useful to keep safe. https://dafne.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/HG-01-002-v3-Sick-day-rules-Standard-1.pdf

If you follow this, you should not experience DKA again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back