Sickness and Insulin Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillsb

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My 14 year old has been ill today with a sickness bug. Has only eaten two slices of toast all day and we have been giving her sugary drinks. Levels are ok and blood keytones now down to 0.4. She has only had a small amount of insulin to go with the toast and needs to do her levemir injection now before bed.

My question is should she do the normal amount or less. First time she has been ill since diagnosis.

Thanks

My 14 year old has been ill today with a sickness bug. Has only eaten two slices of toast all day and we have been giving her sugary drinks. Levels are ok and blood keytones now down to 0.4. She has only had a small amount of insulin to go with the toast and needs to do her levemir injection now before bed.

My question is should she do the normal amount or less. First time she has been ill since diagnosis.

Thanks

Hiya,

If it was me i wouldnt do less as most peoples insulin requirements go up with illness. However thats most people and as we all know that may well not be the case for everyone.

I would do lots of tests during the night to make sure i didnt go low, or even too high. Personally id e setting an alarm every 2-3 hours, particularly with a sickness bug as it can play havoc with levels. That way you can hopefully avoid any major swings in either direction.

Hope she feels better soon xx

Hi Gill,
I would give the same as usual - like Viki says insulin requirements normally go up with illness. But i would check her at 3am to make sure. Hope she feels better soon.🙂Bev

Thanks again everybody.

She did the usual dose and I tested through the night. Keytones are right down to 0.2 and blood 6 this morning. VERY HAPPY. Just had her breakfast. :D

Hi Gills, I hope your daughter is feeling better.

Thanks again everybody.

She did the usual dose and I tested through the night. Keytones are right down to 0.2 and blood 6 this morning. VERY HAPPY. Just had her breakfast. :D

Excellent news Gill, let's hope that's the last of it for now!🙂

Thanks again everybody.

great news gill x

glad she is feeling better, you did the right thing by giving the normal basal dose, it is important not to stop basal insulin.
You posted about her higher levels over the past few days, it is possible that this bug was brewing for a few days and that was causing her higher levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back