Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mummyange

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My son now has a cold and feels bad. His levels went up to 18 then he injected 1 of novorapid and they dropped to 8 in 20 minutes. I don't know whether to take him to the hospital or if this is normal if you are ill?

My son now has a cold and feels bad. His levels went up to 18 then he injected 1 of novorapid and they dropped to 8 in 20 minutes. I don't know whether to take him to the hospital or if this is normal if you are ill?
Hello, 1u would drop me by 3to4mmol on a correction. (Others may vary.) normally turning things around in an hour? (Before a steady drop.)
When did your son last bolus for food?

He injected at about 5.30 for dinner once they dropped but have started shooting back up again.

Higher levels are normal with a cold @mummyange Your son should have Sick Day Rules. It would only be a concern if he developed high ketone levels.

Is he in bed or lying on the sofa? Just wondering if he haslaid on his arm with the sensor on and that has caused what we call a "compression low", which is a false low reading. It would explain the sudden drop and then sudden rise. 1 unit of NR would be unlikely to drop anyone from 18-8 in 20 mins, so I think he has maybe leaned on the sensor.

Agreed @rebrascora Unless there was a previous bolus working or he caught a blood vessel. Also, if the 18 was a Libre reading it might well have been really a 13 or 14.

When you say, he injected 1 unit of NR at 5.30pm when his levels were 18, when did he inject for his evening meal and when did he eat it. Did he add the 1 unit onto his meal bolus or did he inject it at some other time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back