Sick day rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi are the sick day rules for coronavirus the same as sick days for any type of bug. Think I’ve got my sons heavy cold or certainly fighting it off as I’ve been aching today but that’s stopped now. BG has been going up all day. Was on 20mml 2 hours after dinner and ended up giving a unit of insulin correction. An hour after that kicked in ive come down to 16.0 and hovering. Dont know what the hell to do now as there’s 23 hours left on this. I’ve upped my basal dose tonight to 2.5units and upping my day time to 3 units as per DBN earlier before this hit. Think I’m in for a long night with no sleep.

Sorry you are feeling unwell.
The sick day rules are for any day when you are feeling unwell whether it is COVID, a cold, flu, vomiting, ...
I find high BG will exaggerate any ache, pain, sniff, ... And any ache, pain, sniff, ... will increase my BG. So, for me, it is important to keep my BG down with corrections when I am fighting an illness.
Hope your cold doesn't linger and you get some rest.

Oh it’s just got into gear and dropped a 1.2mmol

Sorry you are feeling unwell.
The sick day rules are for any day when you are feeling unwell whether it is COVID, a cold, flu, vomiting, ...
I find high BG will exaggerate any ache, pain, sniff, ... And any ache, pain, sniff, ... will increase my BG. So, for me, it is important to keep my BG down with corrections when I am fighting an illness.
Hope your cold doesn't linger and you get some rest.
Hi Helli, I don’t think this will come to anything, I know something is hanging round me as my 20 year old youngest has had a stinker and I’ve had a little tickly throat and the odd sneeze here and there but usually a cold will flatten me. I coped with Covid better than I did with a cold. Perhaps it’s Covid ‍♀️. I feel relatively ok.

Ended up having another 1.5 units at 11.30pm as was hovering on 15 and came down to 10 . Worried about this happening at breakfast and how to deal with lunch if it does.

If you’re not used to correction doses then it’s good to be conservative but we’ve found that for highs over 14-16ish take more insulin to have any effect so would have done a higher correction dose to begin with. As you begin to feel better you need to remember the timing of your increased basal as depending which basal you’re on it may stay in your system longer than your need for it.

Yes i can do corrections just have no idea how much more to do. Dbn says give a little bit more important insulin. Im on half doses and very small ratios so what would be a little bit more insulin can equate to 25% and be too much. Last night was a first for me being that high with it wanting to stay put. Sometimes it gets too much for me to work out

Are you keeping am eye on ketones as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back