shoulder injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
my first archaeology based injury *is proud*

I seem to have done my shoulder in. Its been aching for the past few days and really hurts when i move it. I think i hurt it lifting heavy buckets (even though i lifted from the knees etc). But it keeps clicking when i move it too, and the muscles accccchhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee

the intermaweb suggests rota cuff. But maybe thats a bit extreme????? I dunno, but it hurts and feels rather useless.

But still! FIRST ARCHAEOLOGY INJURY EVER WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

Yeah shows you are a proper Archeologist out in the field, Sam!

hi salmonpuff

it is not your rotator cuff that you have injured. i would say it sounds more like you are in the early stages of frozen shoulder (comon in diabetics) with possibly a bit of damage to the actual shoulder joint (may need keyhole surgery to flush the joint out).

i speak from experience as about 4 months after being diagnosed with diabetes i was diagnosed with frozen shoulder (i was told that it can happen to anyone but is more common in diabetics). unfortunatly the thing with frozen shoulder is that the prognosis is it takes between 12 and 18 months to fully recover from it. i needed to have a small operation on mine to give me the fulll range of movement again. best thing to do is to get to the doctors and tell them whats happened, but make sure you tell them your diabetic (even though they should know they might not think of frozen shoulder at first) and make sure you ask to be refered to a physiotherapist.

i think i'll wait for the doctors diagnosis. it more *likely* RC as it is an incredibly common injury in archaeologists. And besides, frozen shoulders can result from rotator cuff tendonitis.

I have been referred for physio for my right shoulder as my GP thinks I have a rotator cuff injury, not sure how I got it, but now I have exactly the same problem in my left shoulder, so will tell the physio to check that out at the same time... I also have tendonitis in my left wrist/thumb area which is a killer, so hoping the physio will be able to help with that as well..

hi salmonpuff

how long has your shoulder been like this?

rotator cuff injuries take on average between 5 and 6 weeks to heal without any intervention by a gp/doctor.

i would be very quick to the doctors though as if it is frozen shoulder the quicker you can get started on the road to recovery with it the better. if your in the early stages of stage 1 (frozen shoulder has 3 stages) then they will keep the pain managed with co-codamol and physio.

hope it isnt frozen shoulder for you though.

I think I did it in last week, after all the rain when I was lifting buckets of very heavy wet mud out of trenches. I heard something pop and felt something sort of tear. It didn't hurt at the time and I could still use it, but the pain only really started a few days later. Now it huts if i lean on it, if i lift my arm too high and i can barely lift anything. It also hurts putting a jacket on.

I dont care, its still cool 😎

I think I did it in last week, after all the rain when I was lifting buckets of very heavy wet mud out of trenches. I heard something pop and felt something sort of tear. It didn't hurt at the time and I could still use it, but the pain only really started a few days later. Now it huts if i lean on it, if i lift my arm too high and i can barely lift anything. It also hurts putting a jacket on.

I dont care, its still cool 😎

Sounds like a soft tissue injury to me - I have had quite a few over the years with my running - they sometimes take a few days to manifest themselves fully. Try to keep it mobile, but without straining it - gentle arm circles should be OK, unless it causes sharp pain. Hope it sorts itself out soon - even if it IS cool!:D

Sounds like a tendon problem to me.

Many years ago I used to be a bit of a tennis fanatic and played all the time.
I damaged the tendons in my shoulder and it was so bad that I couldn't lift my arm or hold anything as I had no grip in my hand. If I tried to pick anything up it just fell out of my hand. It even made my arm feel cold and my hand swelled up. It was almost like having a paralyzed arm. The shoulder was making all sorts of clicking and squelching noises as well when I moved my arm.

The doctor put me on anti-inflammatory tablets and gave me anti-inflammatory gel to rub into the shoulder. He also gave me a set of exercises to use so that I didn't get a frozen shoulder.

Unfortunately I had to give up playing tennis as serving aggrovated my shoulder after about 15mins of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back