Should I go to the work Christmas lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDaveAngel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Its in a restaurant and I don't want to go through it saying I can eat this, but not this.
Then again I don't want them to prepare a menu just for me

Sorry, this made me smile, just put a post in food section asking how to deal with a "bring and share" lunch - take comfort in knowing we are not alone. I am going to a carvery for a lunch with friends, but I got to see the menu and was able to make my choices in advance - carvery is best as I can pick and choose for my main meal, starter and dessert much harder. Can you not ask for a menu...could always ask for adjustments to retain low carb ie lettuce wrap instead of actual wrap or bun, that sort of thing. Hope you find a solution, we don't want to miss out, I know.

@PDaveAngel are you saying you will never eat out again because you are afraid to request a special meal?
Most restaurants are used to different dietary requirements nowadays and can make adjustments.
It depends on the type of restaurant and meal but if it is some sort of buffet/tapas/.. you can help yourself to what you want. If it is all served on your plate, you can leave things.

My advice is “don’t let your diabetes control your life”.

@PDaveAngel I notice you are new to the site, do I take it that, like myself, you are new to diabetes? If so this is our first Christmas season and we are going into it blind, I hope someone will be kind enough to remember what that was like and help us out here. Try and check out a menu, maybe they have one online that can help you decide. It won't hurt to be a little naughty for one meal if push comes to shove,

What can't/don't you eat?
Is it a normal Christmas dinner type menu?

If it's a set meal, just leave what you can't eat - just like you would when you don't actually like something.

eg the first course is soup - if it's a thinnish soup like Spring Veg it'll be ok anyway and in any case, you don't get a huge portion - so just don't eat the roll that comes with it. A roast dinner the meat's fine and all the veg, except the spuds - so compromise and just have the roast ones (cos they're nicer as far as I'm concerned!) but leave the mash. Pud - depends what it is but again, unlikely to be a huge portion.

To be absolutely blunt, but 100% logical - you didn't drop dead the day before your diagnosis when you ate what the hell you fancied so you're unlikely to do that anytime very soon after the meal - so you may as well try and enjoy it, hadn't you?

Don't panic Cap't Mainwaring - you are not doomed ! 😉

Its in a restaurant and I don't want to go through it saying I can eat this, but not this.
Then again I don't want them to prepare a menu just for me

Go! Choose a low carb starter or skip it. Eat the Xmas lunch but go easy on the potatoes. They usually have a dessert choice so you should be fine. It often includes cheese (no carbs).

Hi @PDaveAngel, ditto to what the others have said. Don't worry too much about one meal but make adjustments as suggested if you can. Most of all.... enjoy it and have fun with your colleagues! :D
jump4joy.gif

I've just booked up for a Christmas meal.
Pate for starters.... will eat the pate and salad garnish but probably not the melba toast.,
Slow cooked beef for main, will eat meat and veggies and probably leave mash or maybe have just a little.
Then cheese board for afters. Will eat the cheese and maybe a little fruit (a couple of apple slices perhaps) but probably not the crackers or maybe have one or 2 crackers.....

that lot will hardly "break the bank" carbs wise.

I like everything about Christmas and I love all the food!
For me its a starter, roast turkey, potatoes with a lovely dessert.

I am hungry, just thinking about it!

What can’t you eat? And what is on the menu? You can’t let diabetes stop you doing things so I’d definitely go, unless it’s a severe allergy causing the worries and then you may feel safer just meeting afterwards for drinks.

Go and enjoy! I'm going to a Christmas meal with work. Its only 2 courses but i've chosen the turkey and trimmings and i'm definitely having a dessert. I've not had a dessert i've not made for a long while so i'm going to eat and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back