Should I be testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJT82

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I know the answer is probably an overwhelming yes!

Diagnoses T2 3 months ago, went on Newcastle-ish diet, dropped nearly 50lbs however I’ve never been advised to do finger prick testing. Doctor nor diabetes nurse have never mentioned it but it seems to be the norm in here.

I admit there’s probably an element of burying my head in the sand with my diagnosis and just trying to eat better and see what happens when I’m next summoned for an HBA1c and take it from there. Also, as stupid as it sounds from a tattooed 40 year old Harley riding Northern bloke, the idea of a self administered prick test fills me with dread (I have a major needle phobia!).

Hi and yes, it will be a resounding yes from fellow T2s. You are unlikely to hear the BG meter mentioned by GP or DN as they will say they are more trouble than they are worth, or similar - basically the NHS cannot afford to give us all a meter and fund the test strips, so they try to put us off - hence we self-fund them ourselves.
There is no need for a needle phobia as you don't even get to see the sharp bit once you have loaded the lancet into the finger pricker - and, believe me, it does not hurt. It hurts more to stab yourself accidentally with a sewing needle. Yes you are going to feel really nervous the first time, we all go through that! But once done you will wonder what the fuss was all about. Just remember to wash your hands with warm water or rub them with a towel to help bring blood closer to the surface. The finger pricker generally has 5 levels of "deepness" and you find which one suits you the best. Use the side of your finger tip, not the pad itself, and change finger each time to stop any sore points. It gives you the power to find out what causes spikes - some of us can tolerate some higher carbs but not others, but we are all different so we have to test ourselves - once before the meal and then again 2 hours after that first bite - if less than a 2mmol rise great, otherwise look at what you ate, reduce the portion size of the carbs or, if need be, find an alternative.
It sounds like you are doing great with the weight loss, well done on that - but add the BG meter and you will be able to see how that part is doing too. I'd have thought you would be due another HBA1c blood test now 3 months have past, that was when I had my second test following dx, but I guess not all surgeries work the same way.
As I said, finger pricking is fine and not painful, it is nothing like having a jab, it barely breaks the skin .... if it hurt there wouldn't be many of us testing day in, day out! Best of luck, but it does sound as though you are doing good.

Hi @MJT82. Most on here will have worked out by now that everything has its upsides and its downsides and you need to understand both to make a decision about anything. So it is with testing...

The biggest upside, and a big upside it is, is that you can get rapid feedback on how your body reacts to food you have eaten. You can quite quickly find out what things give you big rises in blood glucose and by moderating those things in your diet you can begin to get your blood glucose down. Because of the rapid feedback, you can do it far quicker and with more precision than you can get from relying on three monthly HbA1c results to check progress.

The biggest downside, and the one quoted in the NICE guidelines, is that some people might get obsessive or anxious when it comes to interpreting the results with consequential effect on their mental well being. A second downside is the cost of test strips. You need quite a lot and at £15-£25 a pot, the costs can rack up.

Unlike NICE, I think that the upsides outweigh the downsides but you need to get organised so that you get maximum benefit and guard against the anxiety thing. If you are going to test, my thought is you need to organise, upfront, a plan so you have a really good idea of when you are going to test and why. You need to work out how you are going to keep records because you are most likely going to have to do several tests a day for a month or two and you will need to look for patterns to see the effects of changes you have made. You will not see these things doing the odd test now and then.

Bet if you had already been testing you would have seen the effect of the weight loss.

I have just seen that somebody bought the GlucoNavil for £10 and 50 strips for £6.99 on E-bay so the cost should not be too great if you establish a sensible testing regime.

For me, home testing was very important to get into a healthy T2 diet. Over the year I test less and less but still do test every week or so just to make sure there are no changes. My GP gave me the all the stuff and still lets me have the strips when needed so I guess im lucky.

My view is that it very important to test in the early stages.

For me, home testing was very important to get into a healthy T2 diet. Over the year I test less and less but still do test every week or so just to make sure there are no changes. My GP gave me the all the stuff and still lets me have the strips when needed so I guess im lucky.

My view is that it very important to test in the early stages.
Yes you are lucky I had my test strips withdrawn when I stopped taking Gliclazide.

We all subscribe to Alan Shanley's by now pretty old advice to, 'Test, Review and Adjust'.

In my own opinion there is little point in testing at all unless you also bother to review the result, and adjust what you eat/exercise you do, to attempt to get future such test results nearer to whatever parameters they ought to be in.

Please yourself - nobody can force you to do anything - just that I'd far rather know what and why I'm doing something myself - but you may prefer to remain in ignorance for the sake of a few quid of your own hard earned money. If so fine, won't affect my life!

Thanks as always for the advice, maybe I’m having a bad day but that came across a bit harsh. Where have I suggested remaining in ignorance to save a few quid? I can assure you the money saved on pizzas is more than capable of covering any additional costs….

I was just asking for peoples experiences… but as you correctly say, feel free to please yourself…

I didn't test for 3 months. I did buy a device the day I was diagnosed and did a few measurements, then stopped as it just induced panic. Never told to test by the GP or Nurses that I've seen. I decided to just do the 'low carb' diet and see what happens.

I started testing after the GP reduced metformin to 500mg a day when I got my level down to 36 three months later. That was mainly because I was paranoid it'd go up due to the reduced intake of drug. I don't think it has. I forget to take it quite often.

Now I'm a little obsessed with testing. In fact, I think I might be doing it too much, I mean, before and after eating a Satsuma might be overkill when I know they don't even cause a blip, but it has shown me that with my current diet I wake up with a BG < 5.6 (Generally less than 4) and go to bed with it in the low fives or less than 5.

Thanks as always for the advice, maybe I’m having a bad day but that came across a bit harsh. Where have I suggested remaining in ignorance to save a few quid? I can assure you the money saved on pizzas is more than capable of covering any additional costs….

I was just asking for peoples experiences… but as you correctly say, feel free to please yourself…
Na you didn't come over as abit harsh it's just a case of asking questions and finding your own way we all deal with this in different ways, me, I wanted off the meds if possible but my reading were so high 125mol they had me on a high dose so testing was key along with permanent diet/lifestyle changes and over a year on all is well, no meds BP normal bloods normal including Liver which hasn't been normal for over 12yrs. Diet is amazing really look forward to my meals now but it takes time to find the way and being here was the best starting point for me 🙂

Just ordered up a test meter and kit - you’re right, we all react differently, makes little sense to carry on blind when insight is easily available.

I’ll just have to get over the pricking part!!

Just ordered up a test meter and kit - you’re right, we all react differently, makes little sense to carry on blind when insight is easily available.

The lancet used for the stabbing is - honestly - tiny. Teeny weenie in both length and width. When you see it you will wonder what you were worried about.
You do only see it when you carefully twist off the protective cover, then you cover it with the 'nose cone' and don't see it again until you throw it away.

Well done @MJT82 the first step to keeping control of your own diabetes.

Use the side of your fingers for finger pricking instead of the pad and post
your results on the forum if you wish so members can guide you.
Ted

Thanks, I’ll get used to it, it’s just the thought that gets me, same with injections, once I feel the needle I’m fine, it’s just getting to that point!!

Odd thing is I’m fine with tattoos which is essentially the same needle but dragged through your flesh for a few hours! Odd really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back