Shorty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just been measured and weighed by the NHS (part of a pilot scheme of lung scans for over 55s who have ever smoked and Doncaster has been chosen as one of the areas)
I am now 5'. How have I lost 1.5 inches?!?! I know one is supposed to shrink as one gets older but I'm only 62 for heaven's sake. You have no idea how much that 1 and a half inches meant to me. Oh well, at least it explains why I have to get someone taller than me (not hard!) to get stuff off the top shelves in supermarkets these days. Shame about increase in the BMI though. 5' 1" (and a half) was much better 😉

Just been measured and weighed by the NHS (part of a pilot scheme of lung scans for over 55s who have ever smoked and Doncaster has been chosen as one of the areas)
I am now 5'. How have I lost 1.5 inches?!?! I know one is supposed to shrink as one gets older but I'm only 62 for heaven's sake. You have no idea how much that 1 and a half inches meant to me. Oh well, at least it explains why I have to get someone taller than me (not hard!) to get stuff off the top shelves in supermarkets these days. Shame about increase in the BMI though. 5' 1" (and a half) was much better 😉
Clearly there was a blip in the gravitational field in that room where you were measured. It can be the only explanation for the missing 1 1/2 inches!

Well you me and Garfield - never over weight, always under tall .....

It was always of great delight to me being 5ft 3 and a half, whereas both my mum and my older sis were only ever 5ft 2.

About the same age as you I started to shrink and now nearly 72, I'm definitely 5 ft 2, buggrit.

Well you me and Garfield - never over weight, always under tall .....

It was always of great delight to me being 5ft 3 and a half, whereas both my mum and my older sis were only ever 5ft 2.

About the same age as you I started to shrink and now nearly 72, I'm definitely 5 ft 2, buggrit.
When I went to get school uniform at age 11 they said to have the skirt plenty long to allow for growth, well it was always long as I never grew any taller, stayed at 5ft 1". I used to roll it over at the top to make it shorter as it was the era of the mini skirt.

My daughter is 5'2"
But she is 12!
I am 5'3" and a tiny bit older
My wife is 5'
Ma & Pa are now sub 5'
M-in-L is tiny - but scary :D
I always feel an affinity for other 'Midgos' who (didnt) gre(o)w up from a similar viewpoint

I’m sure I’ve shrunk too. As a vertical challenged 5ft 2ins from the age of 14, I’m suddenly finding it harder to reach things in cupboards, on supermarket shelves etc. At almost 62, I think it’s time I got the tape measure out!

My daughter is 5'2"
But she is 12!
I am 5'3" and a tiny bit older
My wife is 5'
Ma & Pa are now sub 5'
M-in-L is tiny - but scary :D
I always feel an affinity for other 'Midgos' who (didnt) gre(o)w up from a similar viewpoint
I always felt I was being criticised by health visitors as my daughter was always below the bottom percentile for weigh and height and it was only at the medical check when she started school that the school nurse actually said that you couldn't expect her to be average size as I was vertically challenged and her dad was not exactly tall. That made me feel a lot better. She is still only 4ft 10".

My mum, who is well into autumn years, remarked that she gets shorter during the course of the day!

Vonny, if you have shrunk that much, it could be worthwhile seeking a DEXA scan to check your bone density. One of the red flags for bone health is marked shrinking.

Hopefully your CT was nicely normal.

Vonny, if you have shrunk that much, it could be worthwhile seeking a DEXA scan to check your bone density. One of the red flags for bone health is marked shrinking.

Hopefully your CT was nicely normal.
Thanks @AndBreathe, a valid point. I had a Dexa 3 years ago after breaking my ankle in 3 places and they suggested I was ok then but recommended another one in about 6 years, ie 3 years from now. I may see if I can bring it forward!

I often have to adjust the position of the car seat between morning and afternoon so it is very feasible to get shorter.
Exactly what my Mum said!

Thanks @AndBreathe, a valid point. I had a Dexa 3 years ago after breaking my ankle in 3 places and they suggested I was ok then but recommended another one in about 6 years, ie 3 years from now. I may see if I can bring it forward!
I'd be inclined to try to nudge it a bit, in your case - especially if you had a suspicious fracture historically. This time around you'd be in the fortunate position of having comparative score from 3 years ago. The issue with initial scans is there is no clue of there has been any degradation, and the grading process is a pretty blunt instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back