Shortage of insulin supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

alirows

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My local Lloyds pharmacy connected to my health centre appears to be having problems getting supplies of insulin from their preferred supplier and apparently another supplier they've tried. But Boots don't appear to be affected. I find this really worrying and am interested to hear of other pump users' experience of short supply. Have you had to go on an insulin hunt? Is this a widespread issue?

Clearly if Boots have supplies there is no shortage.
Yes indeed, I'm hearing that other local pharmacies, including independents, seem to have good stock of most meds and so I'm wondering whether this is a Lloyds issue rather than anything widespread. I do know that the Lloyds I use seems to have monumental problems across the board so maybe their stock ordering system is inadequate! Just wanted to hear from others' experiences.

Yes indeed, I'm hearing that other local pharmacies, including independents, seem to have good stock of most meds and so I'm wondering whether this is a Lloyds issue rather than anything widespread. I do know that the Lloyds I use seems to have monumental problems across the board so maybe their stock ordering system is inadequate! Just wanted to hear from others' experiences.
Lloyds are closing down their pharmacies in Sainsburys and selling others to local teams/companies.
So they may be deliberately keeping their stocks low.

Glad you’ve been able to get your prescription fulfilled @alirows

I wonder if this seems to be happening more frequently these days because so many more prescriptions are sent directly to your preferred pharmacy (which may or may not have a distributor that keeps good stock levels!).

In the old days I would have my little green piece of paper and could take it to the next pharmacy along if the first was out of stock. My prescriptions are far more paperless now - I just go to the pharmacy and expect to be able to pick up my supplies.

Saves me a lot of faff - but only if the pharmacy warehouse / distribution chain is reliable!

I'm not surprised at the occasional shortage of insulin, because no insulin is manufactured in the UK. Most is made in Germany, so any shortage is due to (1) companies ordering sufficient supplies in time (2) Brexit. That has an effect on all imported goods from the EU, so companies which are used to "just in time" ordering pre Brexit have to add on the time it takes for goods to arrive in the UK. It's not the manufacturing companies fault, and it makes no difference whichever insulin you use.

I use Fiasp insulin, and noted on a slight delay a few months back (7 days) when i requested a prescription through Lloyds Direct, so I always order a prescription when I start the second to the last in my pack.

You missed out “human”, I think @mikeyB Wockhardt manufacture porcine insulin in the U.K. and supply it worldwide. Kudos to them for maintaining patient choice.

Lloyds are closing down their pharmacies in Sainsburys and selling others to local teams/companies.
So they may be deliberately keeping their stocks low.
This is what is happening at local Lloyds pharmacy: There are alarming gaps in the shelves, along with multiple delays for repeat prescriptions due to supply issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back