Shortage of bd ultra fine 4mm needles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Anykne else having trouble fulfilling a prescription for these?
I tried asda and now boots, but neither have stocks.
I mean, i have 3 months in hand, so not an emergency, just wondered if it was just me.
And also to warn people not to leave it til the last minute to replenish

I used to have BD fine but my surgery changed the script to GlucoRX one and they are fine and available so you should be able to get something.

My prescription is for generic '4mm 32G pen needles' and I get whatever brand the pharmacist has in. It’s usually Nipro 4 sure, which I find equally good as the BD Microfine I used to get. I occasionally get a box of those, it depends what my pharmacist can get.

My prescription is for generic '4mm 32G pen needles' and I get whatever brand the pharmacist has in. It’s usually Nipro 4 sure, which I find equally good as the BD Microfine I used to get. I occasionally get a box of those, it depends what my pharmacist can get.
I didn't know they could do that

I’ve only ever had the BD needles until this month when I was given Glucoject ones instead. I did wonder why… This thread taught me that I also have a generic prescription for needles! Glad you have a few months supply until you can get the prescription fulfilled @Tdm. Keep us posted!

We're low on supplies here too. My standard prescription is 180 Needles but they let me have 90 this time round. No probs with that, just indicative of broader shortage

I just get whatever needles they have , it's like a lucky dip when I get my prescription.

Are they all pretty much the same? Its not like some are more 'ouchy' than others?

I can’t say I find much difference in the 'ouchiness'. What I do find is that some brands are easier to screw on than others. BD microfine always go on very smoothly, the Nipro brand I usually get aren’t much worse, but I hate the GlucoRX because I always seem to start off cross threading them, and having to backtrack and try again.

I find some "glide" better than others.
I don't know if they a slight lubricant on them or whether the metal is smoother. But there are definitely some needles which I find easier to insert and less likely to bruise than others.
As I now pump, I use needles too rarely to be fussy. I think my current box is about 6 years old.

Are they all pretty much the same? Its not like some are more 'ouchy' than others?
Some brands are more painful than others. I like bd so have them on my prescription, if they’re out of stock they ask me if I mind another brand and I accept that if very low on supplies or wait until they can get some if I’ve got some left still already

I have the GlucoRx and I don't find them any different to others I have had. The "ouchiness" (love that word) for me tends to be certain areas of each injection site rather than anything to do with the needle itself. I also get some that sting and some that bruise, but this is no different with GlucoRx than other needles I have used. I rather naughtily reuse needles, so any lubricant would likely be gone after one or two uses, so I don't think that is the case for causing stinging or pain, just some parts of my body are more sensitive than others and occasionally you catch a nerve ending or small blood vessel. It is tempting to overuse the areas which are never painful but I stick to a rotation policy.

I think it’s that some have better coating so glide in more easily, as others feel like I’m having to ram it in a bit more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back