Short term steroids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie st helens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Please can anyone help I am on medication for a chest infection using 30mg prednisalone a day for 6 days plus 100mgs Doxyycline twice a day im a type 2 diabetic on insulin and my sugar levels are showing High any advice on getting them down fast ,thanks

Please can anyone help I am on medication for a chest infection using 30mg prednisalone a day for 6 days plus 100mgs Doxyycline twice a day im a type 2 diabetic on insulin and my sugar levels are showing High any advice on getting them down fast ,thanks
I’d adjust my insulin to get them down. If you don’t know how to do that then you need to seek medical advice. We can’t advise on dosages.

Phone 111 @Newbie st helens If your meter is reading High, you’re clearly very high and need some extra insulin. 111 should be able to advise you. Give them a call and have pen and paper ready to write down their instructions. You might also want to write down the names of your insulins, doses and dose times so you’ve got that information in front of you to tell the doctor.

Welcome to the forum.
Steroids are well reputed for causing an increase in blood glucose, it is good that it is only hopefully short term.
It would be worth speaking to your diabetic nurse about how to deal with your increased levels. Getting some ketone urine test strips to keep an eye on that as well.
As Inka says call 111 for advice.

As you are on insulin then the obvious thing to do is increase your insulin. If you don't know how to do so then ring your Drs surgery or the 111 service for advice.

Phone 111 @Newbie st helens If your meter is reading High, you’re clearly very high and need some extra insulin. 111 should be able to advise you. Give them a call and have pen and paper ready to write down their instructions. You might also want to write down the names of your insulins, doses and dose times so you’ve got that information in front of you to tell the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back