Short term insulin

Finwiz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I am on 24 insulin dose (once at night). Now I have been asked to take Trurapi dose as well, 15-20 minutes prior to mail meal. I understand the effect lasts 3-4 hours.

If I am out for main lunch / dinner; somtimes it is not easy / prectical to take this as suggeted. Does it matter if I take it, say, 30-45 minutes prior to a meal if the effect lasts upto 4 hours?

That’s what I would do too @Finwiz

Prebolusing, when you are in control of the meal arrival can be a really helpful strategy, but when eating out, and potentially subject to unforeseen delays I have always found it better to wait until the food was actually there, in front of me.

It also goves an opportunity to look at the plate, and see of the estimate of carbs matches your expectation, and whether the dose seems about right.

That’s what I would do too @Finwiz

Prebolusing, when you are in control of the meal arrival can be a really helpful strategy, but when eating out, and potentially subject to unforeseen delays I have always found it better to wait until the food was actually there, in front of me.

It also goves an opportunity to look at the plate, and see of the estimate of carbs matches your expectation, and whether the dose seems about right.
Being Type 2, I have been asked to maintain a "fixed" dose - hense I do not estimate carbs. I do generally try and minimise the carbs.

Agree with dose when in front of you, however one warning. I did that when on holiday years ago, the meal was uneatable and I almost had a hypo. I, unless my own food, dose after I have eaten it.

Yes, it could indeed matter @Finwiz If you take the Trurapi too far in advance of your meal, you could have a nasty hypo. If you’re eating out and not sure of the meal timings, just inject when the food is in front of you.
I am on a small dose of 4. Intension is to lower my daytime numbers. I use a CGM and have never experienced a hypo - my numbers are still high and the disabetic team are trying to stabilise these.

Being Type 2, I have been asked to maintain a "fixed" dose - hense I do not estimate carbs. I do generally try and minimise the carbs.
That could explain why your levels are still high if your insulin dose is not enough to deal with the carbs you are having, were you advised how many carbs you should have for that dose. You may get a better idea of the problem if you do estimate the carbs so your nurse can advise on a more appropriate dose of bolus or basal insulin.

That could explain why your levels are still high if your insulin dose is not enough to deal with the carbs you are having, were you advised how many carbs you should have for that dose. You may get a better idea of the problem if you do estimate the carbs so your nurse can advise on a more appropriate dose of bolus or basal insulin.
I have never been advised on how many carbs I should have for that dose. They have access to my CGM data. The Trurapi was introduced about 2 months ago

I have never been advised on how many carbs I should have for that dose. They have access to my CGM data. The Trurapi was introduced about 2 months ago
You may get a better outcome if you do 'carb count' and adjust your dose accordingly based on a carb to insulin ratio which your nurse /GP should be able to advise you based on your CGM data.
It sounds as if they are not giving you much on going support or reviewing your data.

You may get a better outcome if you do 'carb count' and adjust your dose accordingly based on a carb to insulin ratio which your nurse /GP should be able to advise you based on your CGM data.
It sounds as if they are not giving you much on going support or reviewing your data.
Will bring up these points at my next visit which should be soon.

It’s an insulin to carb ratio not vice versa.

I started on fixed doses too. The advice at the time was still to count (or at least be aware of) the carbohydrate content of meals to ensure a fairly even intake.

Otherwise you might ask the same dose to deal with a meal with 50g of carbs, or 100g of carbs - and a fixed dose will only have the same ‘processing power’, so would struggle to meed the needs of both. Plus if you were to opt for a very low carb meal your dose may have too much oomph, and you could risk hypoglycaemia.

It may be that your insulin doses are just offering a little added support to your own insulin supply, but a general awareness of carb intake mighe be a helpful addition to your diabetes toolbox?

Back