Shoppers' faces to be scanned in advertising push at Tesco petrol stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Supermarket giant Tesco is installing hundreds of hi-tech screens that scan the faces of shoppers as they queue at the till to detect their age and sex for advertisers.

The store giant has signed a ground-breaking deal with Lord Alan Sugar's Amscreen in a move which tonight sparked fresh concerns from privacy campaigners about the growing use of "invasive" techology in the nation's shops.

The 'OptimEyes' system will be rolled out into 450 Tesco petrol forecourts, which serve millions of customers a week.

It works by using inbuilt cameras in a TV-style screen above the till that identify whether a customer is male or female, estimate their age and judge how long they look at the ad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...h-at-Tesco-petrol-stations-across-the-UK.html

I was just going to post about this as another reason to avoid shopping there.

Tesco I use dont have a petrol forecourt so im safe

Tesco I use dont have a petrol forecourt so im safe

It's a thin end of a nasty looking wedge though Steff. It won't be long before they are on every till in every shop.

Also in the article
Nick Pickles of Big Brother Watch said more advanced camera technology was already available that matches scans of people's faces when they walk into a shop with their pictures on Facebook to tailor special offers to their "likes" on the social media website.

In the future I see this storing what you actually bought so when you walk into the store next time they can aim specially tailored special offers just for you. The links with social media sites is also alarming.

Last edited:
It's a thin end of a nasty looking wedge though Steff. It won't be long before they are on every till in every shop.

Also in the article
Nick Pickles of Big Brother Watch said more advanced camera technology was already available that matches scans of people's faces when they walk into a shop with their pictures on Facebook to tailor special offers to their "likes" on the social media website.

In the future I see this storing what you actually bought so when you walk into the store next time they can aim specially tailored special offers just for you. The links with social media sites is also alarming.
Tesco already know what you buy as for some time now they have been sending offer coupons targeted specifically to your past buying patterns. It is linked through your club card usage.

Perhaps customers should put a mask on before they go in to pay for petrol.
I have always refused to use club cards and or debit cards to pay for goods.
It's cash or nothing when food and petrol shopping.

Tesco already know what you buy as for some time now they have been sending offer coupons targeted specifically to your past buying patterns. It is linked through your club card usage.

I read about that but as I don't use them I don't worry. My worry is what Tesco starts others will follow.

I shouldn't be too concerned, everything that Alan Sugar produces has failed - Amstrad PC, video phone etc - your fired....

Perhaps customers should put a mask on before they go in to pay for petrol.
I have always refused to use club cards and or debit cards to pay for goods.
It's cash or nothing when food and petrol shopping.

I think you might get mistaken for a robber😱
Mirror sunglasses should do the trick (and don't look at the screen of course).

They wont be screening me.
Tesco has got too big for it's boots and forgotten about their customers. Our nearest one is huge, staff cannot direct you as they themselves don't know where things are, the till queues can be as many as six deep and some of the cashiers are rude too. I tried doing internet shopping with them but their "fresh "produce wasn't fresh and most of the drivers were surly and indifferent. I dreaded certain ones turning up. I was paying for the delivery and yet they thought they were doing me a favour.
No Tesco for me and I use a friendly garage for my petrol.

We only have a Tesco Express near where I live, nearest big supermarket is a new Sainsbury's about a mile away (where I have to go for my Burgen bread!). I do occasionally go in the Tescos for things that the local Co-op doesn't stock, but what irritates me is that the shelves/aisles are often blocked by crates and employees stacking the shelves. They rarely make any attempt to move out of the way :(

Having said that, my niece is in charge of BWS (Beer, Wine and Spirits) at a large 24-hour Tescos and I know her to be one of the hardest working, friendliest and most polite of people, so they are not all bad 😉

I don't have a great deal of choice in Snechie. We have two Co-ops, one Asda, one Morrison's and about 14 million Tesco's (I think they bribed the Council). Asda and Morrison's aren't easy for me to get to and I don't drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back