Shocking footage shows frightened dementia patient Bridie, 92, abused and taunted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This shocking video of a frightened elderly woman *being abused, taunted and slapped by an NHS nurse will horrify anyone with a *parent in a home, reveals the Sunday People.

The footage was captured on a *hidden camera installed by worried children of 92-year-old Bridie Rees and show her ordeal at the hands of cruel Faderera Bello, 54.

Bello worked for Homerton NHS Foundation Trust at the Mary Seacole Nursing Home in Hoxton, East London.

She was jailed for four months this year after evidence from the video camera in Bridie’s room led to her arrest.

The nurse can be heard in footage angrily ordering frail Bridie: “Shut up, shut up your mouth.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shocking-footage-shows-frightened-dementia-3956540

Just awful :(

So many reports that noone will feel safe in a Nursing Home.

Do you think it is just that it is reported more now than before?

I think it is getting reported more, it makes me so sad. Do you think cruel people are attracted to these jobs and intentionally set out to bully and abuse those in their trust ?

I think, as is the case with other ongoing abuse scandals in the media, that there has been an institutional code of silence which is now being broken. A good thing in my opinion.

I have a friend who works as a carer for folk living at home and the tales she tells me would make your hair curl. She's had no training, is on one of those notorious zero-hour contracts and struggles to get enough work because she will not rush through a job and risk neglecting or hurting her charges. She's in the minority.

Far greater oversight is needed in hospitals and care homes, with proper training be required so that carers can learn how to handle 'difficult' folk with patience and dignity. And, carers should be able to talk to someone such as a counsellor about the stress they face dealing with the demands of the job, without prejudice so they can 'decompress'. Abuses would be far less common if carers were better trained and better treated themselves.

Care homes have a variety of attitudes amongst their staff and most of them are marvellous at their job.. Others lack the compassion and caring attitude that is essential and some love to wear a uniform as it makes them feel important regardless of their ability.
There are many cases like this that are being uncovered and I have seen it in a hospital setting where immediate steps were taken to highlight the problem and it was ignored and had to be taken to the highest level.
If you cannot look after people then don't do the job. There should be a training programme, including some practical work which would help people decide if it was the ideal job for them.
Care homes are a business and rely on their management staff to make the place run smoothly.
Installing secret cameras may be the answer but would the owners want the expense?

The worried look on this poor fellas face tells it all. There are some lovelly people out there BUT some want ------ out.😡

Fortunately, the staff at my Mum's last care home were beyond reproach. Three of them even came to the funeral.

I think the problem lies in the fact that it is such a poorly paid job, so many places get the cheapest staff they can find, with little regard to their ability. There seem to be a lot of foreign people also, who can't communicate clearly with residents and may also have been raised in a different culture, which doesn't help (it was like this in Mum's previous care home). Not against foreigners by any means, just that they are working in a role where good communication is an absolute must. There should be recognised training courses and qualifications and recognition of the fact that it is in fact a very difficult job - I know I would really struggle to do it.

Last edited:
So many reports that noone will feel safe in a Nursing Home.

Do you think it is just that it is reported more now than before?

My Dad has dementia and carers go in 3 times a day to see to him one carer assaulted my Dad in his own home.

On the other hand my Dad last week threatened to smash his fist through my teeth.
So I walked away and have refused to go back. If you can't cope then walk away don't retaliate.
As Alan says the job is very demanding and not enough help is given to the carers (paid or unpaid).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back