"Shirt-Pocket" Insulin Suitable for Metered Nasal Spray or Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Aegis Therapeutics LLC announced today that it has been awarded its U.S. Patent No. 8,772,231 providing dramatically stabilized insulin formulations suitable for metered nasal spray delivery or injection based upon Aegis' patented Intravail® transmucosal absorption enhancer and ProTek® protein stabilization technologies.

While current insulin formulations denature in less than four hours under stressed condition such as elevated room temperatures or shaking, the Aegis ProTek® formulation provides stability for at least 90 days under continuous agitation conditions at 37 degrees C (body temperature). A proof of concept study using the gold standard "glucose clamp method" for assessing performance of insulin formulations showed that Aegis' stabilized form of insulin can be administered via a metered nasal spray with excellent bioavailability.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2038642

I don't fancy snorting insulin, allergy nasal sprays make me gag, and they'd have to sort out the smell because it could knock a person out. Do people hate injecting so much that they'd rather snort it? Swallow or stab are the only options for me.

They can meter the dosage as much as they like, it still doesn't mean that the person using the inhaler will get the proper dose. If your hand slips a fraction or you don't get the full breath, or any one of a dozen things go wrong, you're stuffed. Plus you've no way of telling for sure you didn't get the dose right till your numbers go nuts. At least for an asthmatic you can tell because you're still wheezing.

They do seem to be spending a lot of money on these alternatives to injections none of which appear very precise, I'm slightly befuddled as to who they think will want them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back