Sheffield schoolgirl with diabetes barred from trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A disappointed schoolgirl from Sheffield has been told she cannot go on a trip with her classmates ? because she suffers with diabetes.

Lucy Harrison?s family paid hundreds of pounds for her to enjoy the Spanish break with Forge Valley Community College in Stannington last year.

But her parents were called just days before the flight next Monday to say the 12-year-old could not go after all ? because the school did not have the right insurance and staff were not allowed to administer medication to Lucy if she had a hypoglycemic attack.

Lucy was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of five and takes regular insulin to regulate her blood sugar levels.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/counc...girl-with-diabetes-barred-from-trip-1-5672629

:(

Awful, but sadly not uncommon. My son's school can't offer him the care he needs (particularly night time) for a forthcoming residential to France, but they asked me a year ago if I could go, so he won't be excluded.

A couple of years ago a 14 year old type 1 girl from Scotland was on a school trip to London and died during the night - she was described as "self-caring". Schools have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to make sure all pupils are included, and adults accompanying the trip are in loco parentis!

That's terribe, what an example to set the child, diabetes is supposed to mean you still have a normal a life as possible and already at this early age her own school are alienating her 😡

Hi Northerner,

I would be asking whether School would help a child with a broken leg? Or if another child fainted through the heat would they refuse to call an ambulance? No different from a child having a low hypo - call an ambulance if she isnt responding! I am sure they have diabetics in Spain so would be used to dealing with it. Holding a can of drink if the girl is shaking is hardly going above and beyond! The School Care Plan will have details of what to do in an emergency - so if they have agreed to follow that in the School then why cant they do it on a trip?

As for Insurance - what a lot of rubbish. They could easily get her Insured for any hospital admissions and if they meant they arent personally covered then what would happen if another child were ill? Are they saying they wont/cant help another child for whatever reason as they arent insured? Would they give another child a headache tablet?

Also risk assessments for these trips should be done months in advance - where is it? Why wasnt it flagged up earlier? What had they agreed in terms of the care plan? It seems to me that the School have realised (too late) that they cant ignore diabetes and would rather not take the girl.😱Bev

Agree with Bev - the analogy of dealing with a child with a broken leg or heat stroke is completely legitimate.

Late decision is totally out of order, as risk assessments and insurance should have been done months before departure date. So, is insurance going to pay back what family have paid to school / travel agency for break?

I wonder if the insurance referred to is actually liability insurance for teachers, rather than travel insurance? But even so, they don't need to administer glucagon, just give sugar if fully conscious or phone ambulance if not, so that paramedics can administer glucagon. Not clear whether the girl has ever needed glucagon to be administered anyway. Perhaps with more notice, dad could have come along too, but that's hardly a normal trip for a teenager.

Last edited:
Agree with Copepod, Bev and Steff.

It's a complete load of rubbish, the school is just being sloppy and lazy. I feel really sorry for this poor 12 year old girl (and family) because she is being treated as "different". I cant imagine that this would do a great deal for her self esteem. If it were me I would probably start to "hate" my diabetes which is not great given that its a chronic illness....

The same discrimination went on back in the 1960's and 70's. Even though I didn't know it at the time. Mum and Dad always told me that they couldn't aford the trip so I couldn't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back