Sheffield children could be banned from leaving school in obesity battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
CHILDREN in Sheffield could be banned from leaving school at lunchtime as the city?s youngsters continue to battle the bulge.

Health bosses today said tackling South Yorkshire?s childhood obesity epidemic is a top priority as new figures reveal the problem is on the rise.

The government?s newly-released public health profiles for Sheffield and Rotherham show the number of Year Six children classed as obese is above the national average.

In Sheffield, 20.2 per cent of children between the ages of 11 and 12 qualify as obese according to the NHS? definition, while in Rotherham the figure is 21.6pc. The average in England for 2012 is 19 pc.

Sheffield has seen a rise of 1.6pc and in Rotherham it has increased by 1.4pc.

Only in Barnsley has the figure decreased from 21.4pc in 2011 to 19.7 this year.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/...om-leaving-school-in-obesity-battle-1-4705743

when I used to rent a room in a salon for my therapy business I used to sometimes watch the youngsters from the local high school coming to the chippie for their 'lunch'.

from my 1st floor room I could see exactly what was in those polestyrene trays......................... chips 😱............. that's it............ chips. though sometimes with gravy 🙄

the only good thing about allowing those children to leave school at lunchtime to get chips is that in my village they have to walk almost a mile to the chip shop

having said that...... when attending college at the age of 16 to 19 in the 1960s I used to get a breadcake from the bakers and go across to the chippie and get it filled with chips for my lunch 😱 but in those days I weighed 6 stone wet through!!! and I don't remember many overweight kids in those days....... so maybe it isn't so much the diet

We weren't allowed out of school unless you were in the 6th form. Anyway, school dinners were fab - I loved 'em! :D

When I was in my early 30s I used to get chip butties that were spread with beef dripping, not butter or marg 😱 At that time though, I was running 50-60 miles a week and weighed 9st 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back