she58

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome @she58 :)

Lovely to meet you too :) Have you had diabetes long? Are you on any medication?

she58

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had Diabetes for about 2 years but only been on medication about 12 month I do struggle really has l have a sweet tooth:( Thank you for your reply lovely to meet you x

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That must be hard. I used to have a sweet tooth too but it’s much reduced now. I think it happens gradually, so don’t give up hope yet.

There are low carb alternatives you can have if you’re missing treats. There are also simple things like sugar-free jelly. The Recipe section here has some ideas.

she58

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your reply l have got Sugar free jellys in the cupboard l will take a look at the recipe section for some new ideas :)

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @she58

Glad you have found us! We are a friendly bunch, and there are literally centuries of lived diabetes experience on the forum, and lots of helpful ideas, tips and shared experiences.

Ask away with any question you may have - nothing will be considered too obvious or ‘silly’ :)

zuludog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello SHE58 and welcome to the forum

There is lots of advice on here, but let me tell you about a sweet tooth

From being a boy I always had sugar in my tea and coffee; my generation did, we just added it automatically
I tried it without, and it was awful
Plus my Mum always did plenty of home baking

Then when I was about 30 I realised I had put quite a lot of weight on, and had to do something about it
It happened to be about the 1st or 2nd of the month
I thought Right, I'll put up without sugar in tea & coffee for the rest of the month, and if at the end of that period I still don't like it, well, I've had a good try

After 5 or 6 days I realised I was drinking tea & coffee without sugar - I'd just got used to it and hadn't noticed
Fairly quickly I reduced the amount of sugary things I ate, like cakes and biscuits, so that when I was diagnosed the change away from sweet things wasn't too much of a problem

So persevere with stopping sweet things; you find that after a short while your taste changes
A few months ago I visited someone and they made me a cup of coffee with sugar in it
I thought - Oh well, one teaspoon in one cup of coffee on one occasion isn't going to kill me, so I said nothing
I found it so sweet and sickly that I could only manage half of it anyway

Remember that all carbohydrates are converted into glucose, so besides the obviously sweet things, we must reduce the amount of starchy food like rice, bread, and potatoes
Although I had cut back on sweet things I was still eating rice, pasta, spuds & bread, so I still had to work on those

Here's a tip -
Have a good look round supermarket shelves for high cocoa chocolate, say 75% or higher
Most everyday chocolate doesn't actually contain or taste much of chocolate
Eating just one or two squares of the good stuff will give you the hit of chocolate taste but without the sugar - say in the evening, once or twice a week
Similarly with coffee. Instead of cheapish instant get the better, more expensive brands and try a few
I haven't bothered with the various ground coffee making devices

she58

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your advice l use artificial sweeteners in my tea and coffee l have done for many years .Do you know of any decent Recipe Books for making nice meals always make my own Spaghetti Bolognese ,Lasagne etc l never use sauces from Jars .

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was a self confessed sugar addict pre diagnosis. I had used artificial sweeteners on and off for many years. I found going cold turkey with the sweet stuff for a few weeks really helped to reset my sensitivity to sweetness. I always said I would rather not drink coffee than drink it without sugar or sweeteners, but I now enjoy my morning coffee 10x as much because I have it with double cream instead of having it sweetened. Cutting the carbs from my diet and adding in more fat has made my BG levels more stable and my weight stable and my diet enjoyable.
Many of us who follow a low carb way or eating do not follow any particular recipes as such, we just substitute the high carb foods for lower carb alternatives.... so we have mashed cauliflower instead of potato (used to top a cottage pie as well as just a side servng) or cauliflower rice instead of real rice, courgetti (spiralized courgettes) or Bare Naked Noodles or sliced aubergine or leeks instead of spaghetti, lasagne or noodles. We fill our plates up with cabbage and broccoli and kale and spinach and leeks and Mediterranean veg cooked in butter or olive oil. Cheese and eggs usually feature quite often because they are high in protein and fat but low in carbs and lets face it, most things taste better with cheese.... cauliflower, broccoli, leeks etc.
As diabetics we are told to eat a low fat diet but it is carbs which cause us problems and if you cut out the carbs you need to provide calories in another form and fat is the obvious choice. The low fat dietary advice that we have been following for the past 50+ years may in part have caused our current diabetes epidemic because by removing the fat from products, it has encouraged us to eat more carbs and unfortunately, the more carbs you eat, the more you want, so it is a self perpetuating problem. Once you cut down on carbs and eat more fat, you stop feeling hungry and eat less food in general and interestingly you usually lose weight as well as helping to reduce and control your blood glucose levels.

Hope that gives you a bit of direction.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your advice l use artificial sweeteners in my tea and coffee l have done for many years .Do you know of any decent Recipe Books for making nice meals always make my own Spaghetti Bolognese ,Lasagne etc l never use sauces from Jars .
Check out the recipes section on the forum for some of member’s ideas

Plus DiabetesUK has lots of suggestions in their ‘enjoy food‘ section

Goldiebrowse

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have had Diabetes for about 2 years but only been on medication about 12 month I do struggle really has l have a sweet tooth:( Thank you for your reply lovely to meet you x
I hear you on the sweet tooth @she58 one of my sins but do manage to keep it under control (most of the time lol)