Sharqy - Diabetic neuropathy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharqy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good afternoon. I’m a new member but so glad to be amongst you. I recently went over on my foot and broke my big toe. A month on I have pins and needles, my foot feels freezing all the time and aches a lot. Could neuropathy be a factor in my foot not healing ?

Can anyone who has come through suffering with this debilitating condition give me some advice please

Good afternoon. I’m a new member but so glad to be amongst you. I recently went over on my foot and broke my big toe. A month on I have pins and needles, my foot feels freezing all the time and aches a lot. Could neuropathy be a factor in my foot not healing ?
Hello and welcome to the forum 🙂
I'm a bit confused by your question as can not work out if you already have neuropathy or not.
Either way if you have a cold foot with pins and needles you need to be seen so your circulation can be checked. What you describe does not sound like neuropathy imho.

Hi Pumper-Sue
Many thanks for replying. I have never had neuropathy so was concerned I may now be suffering. I have a check up with diabetic nurse later this week.

Hi Pumper-Sue
Many thanks for replying. I have never had neuropathy so was concerned I may now be suffering. I have a check up with diabetic nurse later this week.
Please do remember no matter what the problem is, it will be diagnosed as it's your diabetes. Do get your foot checked out by a GP.

Hi and welcome from me too.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your foot after injury.
Have you been doing any exercises to keep the blood flow strong to your foot. A good blood supply is important for good healing and healthy nerves. If you have been laid up with it and not doing much walking or regular physio then I imagine it is getting a bit "stagnant". Even if you are sitting with it up moving your ankle and perhaps wriggling your toes if you are able every hour or so, will help stimulate and improve blood flow. Ideally ask for a physio referral or some safe exercises that you can do.
The other issue is of course how well you manage your diabetes. If it is poorly managed then that will also impact the blood flow and healing process and could lead to nerve damage, so it is probably more important during this time of injury to keep on top of your BG levels as well as you can. Do you have a Libre sensor to monitor levels or are you still finger pricking?
If you don't have Libre then I would encourage you to ask for one and your GP should be able to prescribe it straight away as all Type1s should now be offered it.

Hi Barbara and many thanks. I have had a libre sensor for a few years now. My control could be better for sure but I don’t let it get out of hand. I’m due to have surgery in early January to alleviate chronic lower back and lower leg pain. I have ordered some CBD oil. Having researched it looks like it might help

Good luck with the CBD oil but please do look into physio exercises for your feet to stimulate blood flow. Our feet are precious and need to be looked after. There are lots of seated exercises which won't necessarily impact your back. Do some online searches, as keeping moving is really important even if it is just toe tapping to music.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing discomfort in your feet @Sharqy .

High glucose levels can delay the speed of healing, but it does sound like it would be wise to get your feet and pulses/circulation checked out.

Have you been living with T1 for a while? Neuropathy generally takes a while to develop, often several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back