Sharps Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My sharps box is almost full (I've had the same one for years 😱) and I have no idea how to get rid of it, or where to get a new one from!

Any ideas?

You should be able to get them on prescription I was told yesterday. I don't know about disposal though.

My sharps box is almost full (I've had the same one for years 😱) and I have no idea how to get rid of it, or where to get a new one from!

Any ideas?

Hi Sam I phone my local council Enviromental services and they come and collect it and drop off another one for me . i just put in on the doorstep and thats it . they will collect it whenever I want and its usually within a day or two of phoning .

Any ideas?
Ring up your local council and ask for Environmental Health. They'll take your address and then ask if you want another sharps box and what size. Then you just leave it out the night before as my lot pick up from 7am-7pm I think. Its always been gone by the time I wake up anyway. 🙂

Hi Sam I phone my local council Enviromental services and they come and collect it and drop off another one for me . i just put in on the doorstep and thats it . they will collect it whenever I want and its usually within a day or two of phoning .
El samo babe-o. :D But my council does a round on Tuesdays. So I have to ring them by Thursday the week before to get booked in for a swap.

This is what they do in Southampton, Sam. In my area they collect on Mondays, but might be different in Shirley. When you register in Southampton they should send a letter to the council and they will then contact you and drop off your first box. The boxes are 5 litres - takes me about 6 months to fill!

Nikki, you missed this one: 😉

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=1376

Last edited:
El samo babe-o. :D But my council does a round on Tuesdays. So I have to ring them by Thursday the week before to get booked in for a swap.

Ah well my council love me soooo much they come out any day to swap mine honey 😉

The GP takes ours and then we just order another on prescription.:DBev

Our council won't touch them with a barge pole or anything else for that matter, my docs prescribe me a tiny one which I have to take back to the gp or a cetain chemist to dispose of, bloody annoying as it fills up so quickly as it's only a little litre one and with 4 needles a day and my tester ones its a pain in the arse :(

Hi All..

Nathan gets his sharps bins on prescription...and the full ones are returned to the doctors surgery for disposal....A while ago you could take them to the chemists and they would exchange and dispose of them for you...this service has since been stopped for diabetics...however the service is still provided for drug addicts/users....I have an issue with this....

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi All..

Nathan gets his sharps bins on prescription...and the full ones are returned to the doctors surgery for disposal....A while ago you could take them to the chemists and they would exchange and dispose of them for you...this service has since been stopped for diabetics...however the service is still provided for drug addicts/users....I have an issue with this....

Heidi
xx🙂

Yes I totally agree , Bloody users take priority , 😡😡

Luckily for me my sharps box is collected but some people seem to have

difficulty and its not fair .

Yes I totally agree , Bloody users take priority , 😡😡

Luckily for me my sharps box is collected but some people seem to have

difficulty and its not fair .

Its bang out of order that users have priority..over getting sharps bins taken...and diabetics are having this problem in either getting them or having them collected.....something is sadly wrong in this country..

Heidi
xx🙂

I get my sharps bin on prescription, but it is only a 1 Litre size which is useless, my council will collect my full sharps bin which must also contain my empty insulin cartridges, so the 1 Litre is really to small.

But how about this for stupidity, I asked the nurse if I could have a 5 Litre sharps bin, and was told sorry but the PCT will not allow them to prescribe 5 Litre ones, then she added, what I will do is change your repeat prescription to read 10 x 1 Litre sharps bins instead of one :confused: So last week I came home with a carrier bag full of sharps bins :D

John, that's crazy! A 5 litre bin is much more economical and practical - what are they thinking of? Sheesh!

I get my sharps bin on prescription, but it is only a 1 Litre size which is useless, my council will collect my full sharps bin which must also contain my empty insulin cartridges, so the 1 Litre is really to small.

But how about this for stupidity, I asked the nurse if I could have a 5 Litre sharps bin, and was told sorry but the PCT will not allow them to prescribe 5 Litre ones, then she added, what I will do is change your repeat prescription to read 10 x 1 Litre sharps bins instead of one :confused: So last week I came home with a carrier bag full of sharps bins :D

Hi John...

Its ridiculous not being allowed to prescribe 5 litre sharps bins...the only time Nathan has had a 5 litre one was when he was discharged from hospital...On the prescriptions form the GP's he was only allowed 1 x 1 litre at a time...after me complaining several times about it..the GP agreed he could have 2 at a time..

Heidi
xx🙂

my mum is a nurse and has always swiped one from work for me.

speak of which though i've just filled mine and am currently putting the rest in a plastic bag...when i get a new box i will put them in there...i think i will ring my council to see if they will collect mine and give me a new one! come on Dudley council, do me proud!

Me too speak to council couple of girls always sort me out, swap me full yelllow box for an empty one under the gas meter

Sharps

Hi

When my bin is full, I just take it along to local Boots, hand it in and they give me a new one. No need to contact council/GP/hospital, quick n easy!

Hi

When my bin is full, I just take it along to local Boots, hand it in and they give me a new one. No need to contact council/GP/hospital, quick n easy!

boots do it?! Wow, thats awesome. I might have to go and ask them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back