Sharps box question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Strange as it may seem I got my very first sharps box today :D so I was just wondering whether you experienced sharps guys could advise, do you throw the whole needle including big white plastic cover in or do you just put the actual needle with it's little cover in? I'm only asking cos it's not terribly big and would last longer without the plastic bits - but I don't want to do it wrong!!!😱

Hi flutter mine is only a 1 litre one and i throw all of it in, theres 2 bits on mine one hole fits the needle in the other fits the plastic bit in, mine usually lasts 4 months x

Yes this is a 1 litre one, thanks Steffie, you were quick off the mark there!

lol just came in and saw your question at the top of the board .I am not sure how many times you inject im only twice a day so yours may not last as long as your type 1 on insulin x

Hi Flutterby
We put in the needle with the white cap that goes on it to avoid risking pricking fingers when putting them in the sharps box......I'm always worried about accidentally stabbing myself with the needle as it hurts so much when you do that😱

I'm on 5 a day plus any corrections! I must admit I reuse my needle for the humalog but the Levemir seems to block the needles so don't bother trying to reuse those.

Hi Flutterby
We put in the needle with the white cap that goes on it to avoid risking pricking fingers when putting them in the sharps box......I'm always worried about accidentally stabbing myself with the needle as it hurts so much when you do that😱

Isn't it weird, I go all hot and cold if I accidently prick my finger, yet quite happily stab myself as part of the norm!

we put the whole lot in (lancets too) - they last about a month that way (4 a day on 'good' days). i bought one myself from the chemist for 50p rather than have a script just for a sharps bin - so now Ive always got one 'in hand' and just order one every time i get a new script (which is every 3 to 4 weeks).

Strange as it may seem I got my very first sharps box today :D so I was just wondering whether you experienced sharps guys could advise, do you throw the whole needle including big white plastic cover in or do you just put the actual needle with it's little cover in? I'm only asking cos it's not terribly big and would last longer without the plastic bits - but I don't want to do it wrong!!!😱

I "just put the actual needle with it's little cover in" as well as any lancets. Though if I have been out and have some stored inside an old blood testing strip container, I put the whole thing in.

Hi Flutterby

Yes, why is that? Perhaps it's because you're not anticipating it or because it sticks in a place you wouldn't select (for lancet tests). I'm the same though!

p.s. I put the needle with the big plastic cover in. My Sharps bin is 5 Litres though and lasts about 16 months!

For me it seems to be that the needle always stabs where the bone is rather than the "fleshy" bit for the blood test. Makes me go ouch just thinking about it

I just put lancets and the actual needle in - why fill it with plastic that can just go in the bin/recycling, and have to get the sharps bins disposed of twice as regularly? 🙂

The reason I put the big cap in as well is because I put it back on the needle after injecting so that I can grip it properly to remove it from the pen, and to prevent a fingerstick. As it is then lodged inside the cap it would be a palaver to get it out again 🙂

I just put the needles in, the rest of the rubbish goes in the bin. I can put my lancets in the bin too because I use a multiclix. I try to put as little as possible in my sharps box because of the cost of getting rid of them.

I just put the needles in, the rest of the rubbish goes in the bin. I can put my lancets in the bin too because I use a multiclix. I try to put as little as possible in my sharps box because of the cost of getting rid of them.

😱 you have to pay to get rid of them?

I just hand then in at the doctors (sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back