Sharps bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I thought I would let you know how I got on regarding a sharps bin

Having read the posts on the forum, I thought my first stop would be the my local surgery, receptionist did not know, but a couple of days later I had call from the nurse, advising me that she had left a shaps bin at reception for me. and just to retun it when full and pick up a new one. A result!!!!

Ok, I am now looking at - it's huge!!! It's 10 litres. I have never seen one that size, but hey, I have a sharps bin. It may take me years and years to fill it though.

Try asking at you local your local surgery!

Cheers
Hazel

Wow! 10 litres? I checked mine (which is huge) and it is 5 litres! 5 litres = 6 months to fill for me.

hi .. my sharps bin is also a 10 litre one but only gets replaced every 6 months.. if i phone the enviromental services they will replace it sooner if needed. 🙂

Crikey! I get 4 litres from my council. Nicely fits on my bookcase. Previously I had a teeny weeny 1 litre sharps bin from the pharmacy.

10 litres is mental though. 😎

Crikey! I get 4 litres from my council. Nicely fits on my bookcase. Previously I had a teeny weeny 1 litre sharps bin from the pharmacy.

10 litres is mental though. 😎

Yeah it does sound big but you'd be surprised how quick it fills up.
my last one was a one litre tiny one from the hospital... much too small but ok for a spare i suppose. 🙂

I never have any problems getting sharps bins, however they are always the 1 L size and I find they don't take long to fill up the least there are quite small and easy to store both spares, while in use and while awaiting collection they can easily be put out of sight.

The 5 L bins would I feel to be perhaps too large and unsightly, if I'm away for any period of time I take a 1 L bin with me to dispose of my sharps and then bring it home this could be possible with a large bin.

As for the 10 L bin isn't that bigger than the bin in my kitchen waste? That's got to be a years supply of sharps in one bin!

I think I'll stick with the 1 L bins but this mess about ducking responsibility for the collection or disposal of the bins really needs to be addressed not on local basis but on a national basis it certainly was far easier when we could drop a couple of full bins in a carrier bag and take them to the GP surgery when we next had an appointment and dispose of there.

One day perhaps we will see a standard for everything all over the country until then...

it's amazing wht you can get just by asking!

I thought I would let you know how I got on regarding a sharps bin

Try asking at you local your local surgery!

I'm going to see the doctors this morning.:D

A request for a sharps bin is number 8 on the list of things to discuss.

I'm going to see the doctors this morning.:D

A request for a sharps bin is number 8 on the list of things to discuss.

Good luck, I hope you do better with that than I am at getting an answer on the phone at the moment....

10 litres would last me a decade!! my current 1 litre one was dispensed june last year and the full one i've yet to get rid of was dispensed july 2007

(copepod are you proud of me?😉)

Last edited:
I have a 1 litre sharps bin, which last about 2 months. No problem of getting new one on prescription and the surgery dispose of the full one. Can't understand how it could last any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back