Sharps bin collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Carroll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Would anyone have a contact number for sharps bin collection service for the London borough of Barking and Dagenham. I've searched high and low on the internet and the LBBD website only to be sent round in circles. Beginning to get snowed under with bins.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum @Jim Carroll

The systems for sharps are all different in each area. If you get no joy from a local on here you could contact your DSN and ask them for a contact number, or your GP Practice might be able to advise.
For us it is the waste disposal people who organise the sharps collection service. Others take theirs to their Practice and smoke to pharmacies.

I’m sure there was a pinned post about this. Mine is collection from the council but at my previous address I could drop off at one of the nhs clinics whenever I needed too.

Would anyone have a contact number for sharps bin collection service for the London borough of Barking and Dagenham. I've searched high and low on the internet and the LBBD website only to be sent round in circles. Beginning to get snowed under with bins.

Many thanks.
Just ring your GP surgery or ask your local pharmacy for the telephone number.

As others have suggested, asking your pharmacy, GP surgery, or diabetes team is probably best. (Since sometimes one of them will take it, for one thing.)

In terms of the council, it looks like LBBD points to City of London, and the right page there is, I think, https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/ser...commercial-waste/hazardous-and-clinical-waste which gives contact details.

Hi all

The number I was given was 0330 122 4220 to arrange a collection in the Barking and Dagenham area.

Hi all

The number I was given was 0330 122 4220 to arrange a collection in the Barking and Dagenham area.

Thanks @Mthaks

Sadly @Jim Carroll hasn’t been back since he initially posted, but hopefully he has since found a way of properly disposing of his accumulation of sharps bins

For reference, but the London-wide service from the City of London is for hazardous waste, chemicals etc., not clinical waste.

For household clinical waste in Barking and Dagenham, Havering, and Redbridge you should call Medisort on 0330 122 4220 to arrange collection.

In my London borough the council need an N.H.S. referral to be able to arrange collection. No wonder the surgery just lets you drop them off there, less work for them.

It also seems rather risky as surely people who do their own glucose monitoring rather than through a G.P. (let alone any other reasons why someone may be injecting themselves) will end up having to put their waste in normal bins.

No idea if Medisort require any similar sort of approval or will collect from any household in those boroughs.

For reference, but the London-wide service from the City of London is for hazardous waste, chemicals etc., not clinical waste.

For household clinical waste in Barking and Dagenham, Havering, and Redbridge you should call Medisort on 0330 122 4220 to arrange collection.

In my London borough the council need an N.H.S. referral to be able to arrange collection. No wonder the surgery just lets you drop them off there, less work for them.

It also seems rather risky as surely people who do their own glucose monitoring rather than through a G.P. (let alone any other reasons why someone may be injecting themselves) will end up having to put their waste in normal bins.

No idea if Medisort require any similar sort of approval or will collect from any household in those boroughs.
Medisort have the contract here in my part of Essex for a few years now too!

I think there are as many ways to dispose of sharps containers as there are CCGs in the UK!
Mine is via the council refuse collection team.

I think there are as many ways to dispose of sharps containers as there are CCGs in the UK!
Mine is via the council refuse collection team.
Yes similarly to most other things relating to health services.

Just called them and they seemed to book it with out a referral.

Just needed to confirm the address and if I wanted a replacement bin. Seems easy once you have the right contact details of course .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back