Share YOUR experiences and views by completing the survey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejones261

Hey!

We are a team of QUB Clinical Health Psychology MSc researchers exploring the influence of disease-related stigma and misinformation experienced on Instagram and TikTok on the well-being and behaviour of adults aged 16+ years living with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. The survey should take around 15 minutes to complete. Share YOUR experiences and views by completing the survey! Please share/retweet.

Thanks for your help,

QUB Clinical Health Psychology MSc research team.

This study has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns

Diabetes UK has tackling discrimination and stigma faced by people with diabetes as one of 5 key areas of focus in the current 5-year plan.

Kind of interesting but only if you use either tik tok or Instagram to check up on diabetes related matters.
Maybe that should have been one of the first questions.
Yes I look at instagram but never for T2 related matters so it was all a bit pointless for me.

Hi @bulkbiker

Thank you for expressing your views that could be a point we take into consideration for future research! Also thank you for taking the time to complete the survey it is very much appreciated!

Kindest regards

There are other social media sources of misinformation and distress too. Various web based ones and Facebook for example. ( I think the young forget FB, but the older more commonly diagnosed type 2 haven’t yet)

Of course I completely agree we will certainly take this into consideration for future research! Thank you for letting us know your views and for taking the time to complete our survey!

Of course I completely agree we will certainly take this into consideration for future research! Thank you for letting us know your views and for taking the time to complete our survey!
Oh but I can’t complete the survey because I’m too old and outdated (lol) to use the only two platforms you ask about

Oh but I can’t complete the survey because I’m too old and outdated (lol) to use the only two platforms you ask about
Snap. I certainly would never use Social Media to find out anything reliable about my health anyway. I am on Facebook, which I originally joined after my big sister went to live in Australia, but sadly she's no longer with us but still there as I get useful info about things a certain caravan & camping organisation we've been members of for some years want to publicise in between their official communiques - and am also 'friends' with some family members and a few other mates generally - but nothing serious. Far too many decent sources available online for that these days, to bother with trawling through a lot of rubbish.

Snap. I certainly would never use Social Media to find out anything reliable about my health anyway. I am on Facebook, which I originally joined after my big sister went to live in Australia, but sadly she's no longer with us but still there as I get useful info about things a certain caravan & camping organisation we've been members of for some years want to publicise in between their official communiques - and am also 'friends' with some family members and a few other mates generally - but nothing serious. Far too many decent sources available online for that these days, to bother with trawling through a lot of rubbish.
To be fair there are useful support and information groups out there in amongst the trash. The skill is in being able to discern which are which and to verify anything from them else where. Bit like Wikipedia and to some extent even these forums. Gets you started looking in a direction, rather than blindly, but needs confirmation from more reliable sources (ideally several). Sadly too many people swallow whatever they read anywhere hook, line and sinker without asking questions.

Alan Shanley had a cracking clickbait spoof advert on his blogsite years ago for some totally invented thing apparently instantly curing Type 2. Even though people who knew him also knew it was a load of old rubbish before we clicked on it, we still did.

We still occasionally find folk who ask if cinnamon can really cure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back