Status
Not open for further replies.

gll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hey all.

So I have been asked to take 2 x 10mg of empagliflozin to see how well I tolerate a higher dose (was on just 10mg) with a view to switch to the single 25mg tablet. 10mg wasn't really enough to control bg. Im about 4 weeks into the increase.
I am also on water tablets daily (furosemide 40mg).

Would it be normal to be drinking 4L plus of fluids a day (no added sugar orange or similar mainly) and still feel thirsty?
When I was on other meds (non sglt2) the oedema I had was being dealt with by the water tablets and while it wasn't quite gone, it was being well controlled but I did notice a small increase between starting on 10mg and being moved up to 20mg.
Now it is back with a vengeance despite the diuretic effects of both the water tablet and empag my lower legs are ballooning again.

Never had anything flag up on kidney function tests (had 3 since October). Last one was 2 weeks after starting empag and nothing since the increased dose.
Had ecg done in dec after diagnosis and was all fine.
Blood pressure is raised today (makes sense with the increase of fluid). 141/93 vs the usual 120/80 average I get. Will check it again later on as one reading doesn't tell all.
I've been unwell since going on the increased dose (had booster jab same day and then got a cold that developed into chest infection. Finished a course of antibiotics a few days ago. Bg was very out of control (generally anywhere between 14 and 24) but has calmed down a little bit. Sitting at 13.5 now but not had dinner yet.

I am peeing in the mornings after taking it (usually around 7-8am) but by early afternoon the gushing has stopped. (lines up time wise with water tablets to be honest).

Today I felt dizzy and was a wee bit sick. Keytones clear. Pee is a normal colour on the whole.

I have a nurse review on Tuesday about the increased dosage but she can't deal with the oedema side of things so looking for some input before then to see if I need to push for a review with someone who can deal with both my t2 and oedema as one and not as separate issues. I really feel it is all interlinked.

It is hard to know if I am complaining about stuff that is normal or I should have alarm bells ringing with it all. (so I ask you lot instead)

Thanks in advance, hope someone can tell me at least what is normal 🙂

<3 Lou x

Hey all.

So I have been asked to take 2 x 10mg of empagliflozin to see how well I tolerate a higher dose (was on just 10mg) with a view to switch to the single 25mg tablet. 10mg wasn't really enough to control bg. Im about 4 weeks into the increase.
I am also on water tablets daily (furosemide 40mg).

Would it be normal to be drinking 4L plus of fluids a day (no added sugar orange or similar mainly) and still feel thirsty?
When I was on other meds (non sglt2) the oedema I had was being dealt with by the water tablets and while it wasn't quite gone, it was being well controlled but I did notice a small increase between starting on 10mg and being moved up to 20mg.
Now it is back with a vengeance despite the diuretic effects of both the water tablet and empag my lower legs are ballooning again.

Never had anything flag up on kidney function tests (had 3 since October). Last one was 2 weeks after starting empag and nothing since the increased dose.
Had ecg done in dec after diagnosis and was all fine.
Blood pressure is raised today (makes sense with the increase of fluid). 141/93 vs the usual 120/80 average I get. Will check it again later on as one reading doesn't tell all.
I've been unwell since going on the increased dose (had booster jab same day and then got a cold that developed into chest infection. Finished a course of antibiotics a few days ago. Bg was very out of control (generally anywhere between 14 and 24) but has calmed down a little bit. Sitting at 13.5 now but not had dinner yet.

I am peeing in the mornings after taking it (usually around 7-8am) but by early afternoon the gushing has stopped. (lines up time wise with water tablets to be honest).

Today I felt dizzy and was a wee bit sick. Keytones clear. Pee is a normal colour on the whole.

I have a nurse review on Tuesday about the increased dosage but she can't deal with the oedema side of things so looking for some input before then to see if I need to push for a review with someone who can deal with both my t2 and oedema as one and not as separate issues. I really feel it is all interlinked.

It is hard to know if I am complaining about stuff that is normal or I should have alarm bells ringing with it all. (so I ask you lot instead)

Thanks in advance, hope someone can tell me at least what is normal 🙂

<3 Lou x
If you check out this link which gives the side effects of the drugs then it does mention some of the symptoms you describe also about interaction with diuretics.

thirst lines up but everything points more towards volume depletion and lowering of bp but I'm the opposite. My body likes to defy the norm I swear. :rofl:

thanks for the link @Leadinglights

Sorry to hear about the reaction you are getting from the meds, and the difficulties you mentioned earlier in getting hold of you Dr for any advice and support :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back