Severe Low Blood Sugar Occurs Often in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Patients with diabetes who take certain types of medications to lower their blood sugar sometimes experience severe low blood-sugar levels, whether or not their diabetes is poorly or well controlled, according to a new study by Kaiser Permanente and Yale University School of Medicine. The finding, published in the current online issue of Diabetes Care, challenges the conventional wisdom that hypoglycemia is primarily a problem among diabetic patients with well-controlled diabetes (who have low average blood-sugar levels).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130730101715.htm

I have had a couple of low hypos, 2.6 and 2.8 which one today was unexpected to say the least. I had eaten as fairly normal yet for some reason had the 2.8, now over compensated and running around 9 and expect them to rise a bit more :(

When I first came home after Dx but before Re-Dx, Dr Idiot frequently told me I couldn't be having hypos, it was impossible on the meds I had then. So I'd show her the meter readings and she'd lecture me on testing, saying I didn't need to test because I was T2 and would only get obsessed. I couldn't win with her. But I've worked with a number of T2s, who are Metformin only and they do get hypos. One of the counsellors came over all unnecessary at work one afternoon and we did a BG test on spec, it was 2.3. He was most surprised as he'd also been told hypos don't happen on Metfartin.

My wife and I are both type 2. Before I went on insulin, we both had hypos, now and again, which were below 3. Yes type 2 diabetics do have hypos. My worst was in the middle of Asda, many years ago, thankfully the first aider new what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back